Uploaded a PDF file

Post all HTML related questions here. No support.

Moderator: Project members

marketgirl
500 Command not understood
First name: Donna
Last name: Rios

Uploaded a PDF file

#1 Post by marketgirl » 2010-04-08 04:12

When I upload a pdf file and the transfer says it is well.

Then I go to my site and try to pull up the page I just uploaded. I come up to a Index page that says the file name but when I
click on it....it is full of

%PDF-1.4 %äüöß 2 0 obj <> stream xœ—Mk1†ïû+t.x3£¯]Á²`Ç6¤7ÃB¥§ô iI.ýûÍ( ­ô² Vò³¯¤Çò˜¥‘ÝŸáѥјɥ7 æÇÙÝ?7wÑ»ËÇ~=– KôyÆC˜±ÄHKŒSÁS",Ѥ—8D#ªF�4�hÐ4" j@Óˆ€ªÑì4" iìƒMclû`Ó€¦±6�¨¿þ°Óˆ€ª�M#�šF�4¨Ð4"`ÕfFT�hÐ4 iD@Õ€¦U#{ì4" iìƒMclû`Ó€¦±6�X5úÈØiD@Õ€¦�M#�šFT�h°j䉱ӈ€ª�M#�šF�4¨Ð4" j$ÂN#šÆ>Ø4öÁ¦±6�hû`Ó€Z ,}Î*c—k…±ËµºØåZYìsV»\+ŠWÜÅ= ²#yÕÉR1ÙM¥¶o/7¤×ӏᰠìë_S%³Û¾º›³<”ÝöýóBLžÅuÇ%Ê4I¦¢}O{:PZ¿l‡Ó6\þM•-—¨¶/©ÑRoWy<Ò‘NÒž%ÄKÞJu—_‚b]ÞÂÄ,!u]²—ë,#aÝ~þ/ÉË·Tœ÷ETh’Bj]uGAweW~©Û­£ÚÌ2Xêà~ÝéG‡w—[tÊד辏:ÅL§Ú±4áL‘©Þœ¬g\d6~MûzËá5…ãþÎx[ÔÅ=ˆÖ endstream endobj 3 0 obj 588 endobj 4 0 obj <> stream ÿØÿà�JFIF������ÿÛ�C� ÿÛ�C ÿÀ��^�^"�ÿÄ����������� ÿÄ�µ���}�!1AQa"q2‘¡#B±ÁRÑð$3br‚

What happened??

I renamed the file index.html
I am using Open Office to create my doc.

Can anyone help

MadScotsman
First name: Neil
Last name: Robertson

Re: Uploaded a PDF file

#2 Post by MadScotsman » 2010-04-08 04:37

Hi marketgirl,

Did you rename your PDF file to index.html?

If so, this isn't a FileZilla question. To demonstrate, rename the PDF file to index.html on your hard drive then double click on it. You will get the same result.

Basically, a PDF file is designed to be read by a PDF reader like Acrobat. The file extension, PDF, is what tells the system that it is a PDF file. By renaming it with a file extension of .html, you're telling the system it contains a web page written in the html language.

Your best bet is to upload it to your website as a PDF file and specify the full file name when you would like to access it. If you had hoped to access it on your website as (for example) marketgirl.com, you would use marketgirl.com/filename.pdf instead.

Of course, if you didn't rename the PDF to HTML, then this reply is all wet and I apologize.

Cheers, Neil.

marketgirl
First name: Donna
Last name: Rios

Re: Uploaded a PDF file

#3 Post by marketgirl » 2010-04-08 13:29

Neil,

Thanks for your reply.

I went back and uploaded the file again plus cleared my cache and all is well.

Thanks for your help, it did help me to understand what I was doing wrong.

Make it a great one