bizarre ftp problems... or maybe just doing it wrong...

Post all HTML related questions here. No support.

Moderator: Project members

romarin
500 Command not understood

bizarre ftp problems... or maybe just doing it wrong...

#1 Post by romarin » 2010-05-15 11:37

Hello,

I am new to using ftp clients; I've made a few websites before but always used the ftp interface on the hosting company's site to upload content, rather than a separate ftp software. I'm redoing a site for my mother-in-law's business (the old site hasn't been maintained in several years and she has no knowledge of or interest in the ways of the internet), but the hosting company she's currently locked into a contract with doesn't seem to have an ftp interface or control panel that I can use. I downloaded FileZilla to help with this, and while I'm able to connect to the server, and get "successful transfer" messages, I can't seem to figure out where my files are going, as they are not visible or accessible on the site itself.

I wrote to the hosting company's technical help and got an automatic reply that they would get back to me within 2 weeks (and that was a week ago; still no answer). I need to get this site up asap, so I'm hoping someone here can give me some tips!

One thing that I think might be a factor is that the website address has been configured to change automatically when entered to a longer address that includes multiple search keywords in it, apparently to get more google hits or something. Here's the address, so you can see what I mean yourself: http://elevage-coin-sauvage.com

What I tried to do was upload the new index page I created, but I called it "index2.html" so that it wouldn't take over the old one just yet. Now when I go to the site and type "index2.html" after the address, the "index2.html" bit just disappears from the address bar, and the old first page gets reloaded.

Sorry this all might be a bit confusing... I'm certainly confused. Any help at all that any of you can give me would be greatly appreciated! As would questions for more details... if there's more information I need to write up to make any of this clearer, I will gladly do so!

Thanks in advance,
R

romarin

Re: bizarre ftp problems... or maybe just doing it wrong...

#2 Post by romarin » 2010-05-17 08:55

I posted this same message in another forum and got a response that I should upload files into the public_html or www directories. There are no such directories on this server, and I just wanted to mention that here as well in case anyone was going to suggest the same; also in case this gives anyone else some clues as to what's up.

Thanks,
R

boco
Contributor

#3 Post by boco » 2010-05-17 19:49

This looks like some kind of redirection. Only your hoster can explain that.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

romarin

#4 Post by romarin » 2010-05-18 06:43

Thanks, I actually got it figured out with help from someone on another forum.