URL showing HTML document. Please Help

Post all HTML related questions here. No support.

Moderator: Project members

WayneGirl
500 Command not understood
First name: Audra
Last name: J

URL showing HTML document. Please Help

#1 Post by WayneGirl » 2013-11-05 04:09

As part of a school project we were to form a website using HTML and then upload it to our school server via Filezilla and post a WORKING link.

I have done everything I can possibly think of and still my link brings up my html document instead of a page.

I've checked the html over and over again with multiple html testers. I even used blogger html as a last resort, just to see, and everything showed up properly. But every time I link to the file through filezilla it displays all of the html in its original text form.

I loaded the file as index.html

The server is correct.

My username/password are correct.

To get an idea of what it's doing here is the link:

http://iis.slis.wayne.edu/fj4513/

What is wrong? I've spoken with classmates and the professor about this problem and no one seems to be telling me anything different and I'm getting desperate and frustrated. Please help.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: URL showing HTML document. Please Help

#2 Post by botg » 2013-11-05 07:28

The file transferred correctly. If you'll open your local copy in a browser, you'll see just the same.

WayneGirl
500 Command not understood
First name: Audra
Last name: J

#3 Post by WayneGirl » 2013-11-05 13:17

Thank you for your response, but I don't think it quite answers my question. I don't think I phrased them correctly the first time.

I understand that the document has transferred correctly, but the problem when I'm using the link... I'm expecting to see my html translated into a webpage not just thrown back up on the screen as script.

I'm trying to figure out why my html isn't translating into my images, links, and what not.

I've used multiple html testers and they've all had no problem translating my html into a proper webpage. I've even resorted to copy and pasting it all into blogger because generally it gives you a red alert if there's unusable html anywhere. Even blogger translates my html.

So, my question is, why is the html not showing up as a webpage? Have I downloaded it improperly, or is there something wrong with my HTML that just isn't being detected by the html testers or my own review.

This is what I'm trying to figure out.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2013-11-05 19:08

Files do not converted by transferring them over FTP.
So, my question is, why is the html not showing up as a webpage?
It is showing up as a webpage already because it is a webpage. Hint: Look into your local file with a basic text editor.

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2013-11-05 21:53

The problem is that you wrapped your HTML code into a second layer of HTML code. The resulting page is designed to simply display the HTML code of the first one.

Solution: Remove the second HTML layer. You could save the displayed page code as a text file, rename it to a *.html extension and upload as-is.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org