Lost the images and buttons of my website page using FileZilla

Post all HTML related questions here. No support.

Moderator: Project members

Tahitibob
500 Command not understood
First name: Benoit
Last name: Granger

Lost the images and buttons of my website page using FileZilla

#1 Post by Tahitibob » 2018-09-10 02:34

Hi,

I tried FileZila yesterday on the website of my company : <removed as the problem is solved> (a webiste in Japanese)
I just tried to edit the text of one page, and I lost all the images and links of this page : <removed as the problem is solved>/company.html
I edited it by downloading the html file to my PC, editing the text, save, and uploading on the server (erasing the current html file).

I was able to recreate the correct page in local (cf attached). But I cannot upload it properly to the website.

Can someone please help me ? I am stuck with an ugly page on my webiste.

Kind regards

Tahitibob
Attachments
company.PNG
company.PNG (264.06 KiB) Viewed 9032 times
Last edited by boco on 2019-10-04 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed URLs as the problem is solved for preventing useless hits to the website.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Lost the images and buttons of my website page using FileZilla

#2 Post by botg » 2018-09-10 07:15

How did you download the file in the first place?

Did you by chance use a webbrowser to save the webpage? If so, Webbrowsers change pages significantly so that they can be viewed locally, rewriting links and probably other stuff as well.

Try re-uploading the original file from the most recent backup. If you want to edit a file, download it through FileZilla, don't use the Webbrowser's save function.

Tahitibob

#3 Post by Tahitibob » 2018-09-10 08:44

Hi botg,

Thanks for the advise. Actually, I edited the page in Google Chrome, and saved it on my PC. I don't know how to re-upload an earlier file for the most recent backup. Can we see those backups on FileZilla ?

My problem I think, is that when I check at the codes of the pages of the webiste, the uncorrected page shows on top line : <!--saved from url=(0046)file://C:/Users/Granger%Benoit/company.html -->
while other pages don't have this. I tried to get rid of it on my PC and reload it via FileZilla, but it didn't work.

Tahitibob

#4 Post by Tahitibob » 2018-09-11 05:37

Hi all,

I finally solved my pb. I got access to the website administration site, and after 3 hours of struggling (I couldn't edit html directly on this site because each I did it, the Japanese text display got messy), I managed to edit in Notepad, and upload via this administration site. For this time, FileZilla didn't help me but I will keep it 'cause I am sure it can be handy in the future.

typomaniac
First name: Dave

#5 Post by typomaniac » 2018-10-02 17:31

ALWAYS keep a backup of a file before you edit it. I keep a directory available for that purpose where I download the file to and then copy it into another file for editing in another directory on the local end. I know, it looks like it can be a tad of a pain going back and forth but after having blown a few pages in php or perl, found it is worth the extra few seconds it takes. One can't blame the ftp client for human error.