index of/ message when trying to access site.

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Wunude0011
500 Command not understood
First name: Brady
Last name: H

index of/ message when trying to access site.

#1 Post by Wunude0011 » 2019-03-22 09:43

Hello, i have looked high and low on the internet for a response to this question but it has not helped, i'm in abit of a panic because this is for a school assignment.

The task is to simply publish a site to a web server they have provided, so i go to site manager and make a new site and enter my host which is <not relevant> enter my user name and password and connect. under remote site i have a folder called "/". I was told i would need to make a "public_html" folder so i right clicked on the / folder and created a directory. I find the folder on my desktop with my files that i need to upload, i press control A and upload the files into the public_html. i right click / folder and copy the URL and enter it into google. All i get is an index of/public_html and my files, a photos folder and a parent directory folder. I have worked out that the ftp pre-fix on the URL is only going to bring up files but when i change it to HTTP nothing comes up. Basically what i'm asking is How do i correct this so i can see my website that has been uploaded? I'm really stuck as i do not know where i am looking for the actual URL to bring up my site. Any help at all would be very much appreciated and i am happy to add more information if needed.
Last edited by botg on 2019-03-22 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Redacted possible advertisement.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: index of/ message when trying to access site.

#2 Post by botg » 2019-03-22 10:34

Looks like the upload itself worked just fine.

As for where to upload files and how to name them, we simply cannot know, too many variants. You need to contact your server administrator or server hosting provider to inquire about the server configuration.

Wunude0011

#3 Post by Wunude0011 » 2019-03-22 10:47

Thank you for your reply, i watched a video my teacher sent me and he says for every web host they have a root directory here called public_html, sometimes its automatically made sometimes not, so you have to create one (which i think i did as i mentioned above) if i knew my side root folder/ftp account folder would that help? i have asked my teacher several times due to the lack of support resources but he dodges the question a bit. Obviously as i said before i can pull up index of/ with the files but to actually see my website working functionally is an issue. But yeah thanks. All i'm really after is my actual website URL but no idea where to look for it

Wunude0011

#4 Post by Wunude0011 » 2019-03-22 10:50

botg wrote:
2019-03-22 10:34
Looks like the upload itself worked just fine.

As for where to upload files and how to name them, we simply cannot know, too many variants. You need to contact your server administrator or server hosting provider to inquire about the server configuration.
Thank you for your reply, i watched a video my teacher sent me and he says for every web host they have a root directory here called public_html, sometimes its automatically made sometimes not, so you have to create one (which i think i did as i mentioned above) if i knew my side root folder/ftp account folder would that help? i have asked my teacher several times due to the lack of support resources but he dodges the question a bit. Obviously as i said before i can pull up index of/ with the files but to actually see my website working functionally is an issue. But yeah thanks. All i'm really after is my actual website URL but no idea where to look for it

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2019-03-22 21:34

What files do you see when accessing the server over HTTP? There should be index of / and a file and directory list.

- If you see nothing (neither a public_html directory nor your list of files), then the web server does not point to your personal space correctly. You did nothing wrong, but the server doesn't pick up your files.

- If you see only one public_html directory, that directory is not required. Upload your website files to / directly.

- If you see the list of your website files, you do not have a correct index document (the one the browser searches for). The document that should be loaded first must have a special name like index.htm, index.html etc. Name it index.html and try again.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Wunude0011

#6 Post by Wunude0011 » 2019-03-23 05:21

boco wrote:
2019-03-22 21:34
What files do you see when accessing the server over HTTP? There should be index of / and a file and directory list.

- If you see nothing (neither a public_html directory nor your list of files), then the web server does not point to your personal space correctly. You did nothing wrong, but the server doesn't pick up your files.

- If you see only one public_html directory, that directory is not required. Upload your website files to / directly.

- If you see the list of your website files, you do not have a correct index document (the one the browser searches for). The document that should be loaded first must have a special name like index.htm, index.html etc. Name it index.html and try again.
if i enter HTTP over ftp nothing comes up, today i have clicked on my files, logged in with my user and password and it brings me to ftp://example.com/public_html, with index of/public_html. Then i have the parent directory i can click on which brings me to index of "/" if i click on a file in public_html for example index.html it just downloads the web page to my computer.

I was told i needed to make a public_html directory though which is another issue, i have uploaded it to / directly before but the same result just without the public_html folder. Yeah i see my list of files which includes index.html. and my style.css and my photos folder. I've been told that as long as i have an index.html file in there that should load first or am i wrong on that? Thanks.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#7 Post by botg » 2019-03-23 11:43

boco wrote:
- If you see nothing (neither a public_html directory nor your list of files), then the web server does not point to your personal space correctly.
If indexing is disabled and no index document is found, a 404 is also a valid possibility.

Wunude0011

#8 Post by Wunude0011 » 2019-03-23 12:22

botg wrote:
2019-03-23 11:43
boco wrote:
- If you see nothing (neither a public_html directory nor your list of files), then the web server does not point to your personal space correctly.
If indexing is disabled and no index document is found, a 404 is also a valid possibility.
I've considered that but i don't think so, the server has been all set up by the school, i was told by my teacher if i fixed i got rid of the ftp prefix on the URL it should work but.