SSH Tunnel

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Hubert1965
500 Command not understood
First name: Hubert
Last name: Schölnast

SSH Tunnel

#1 Post by Hubert1965 » 2021-05-12 17:56

I've been using FileZilla for years to connect to my own remote server, but now I need to connect to another server via SSH tunnel, and I don't know how.

I can connect to the desired computer with simple shell commands:

1. from my local computer (MacOS) to the gateway (Ubuntu):

Code: Select all

> ssh publicuser@public.gateway.university.edu
When I enter the password for publicuser I'm logged in the gateway computer. There I can perform the second step:

2. from the gateway (Ubuntu) to the target (Ubuntu):

Code: Select all

> ssh internaluser@protected.internal.server
This internal user has another password. When I enter it, I'm logged in on the protected server. I've reached my goal and can to what I want to do there.

But now I want to use FileZilla to move files from my local computer (MacOS) to the target computer (Ubuntu). So, I need to connect to protected.internal.server via public.gateway.university.edu with two different User-IDs as described above. How can I do this with FileZilla?

boco
Contributor

Re: SSH Tunnel

#2 Post by boco » 2021-05-12 19:45

FileZilla only supports SFTP. It does not support SSH/SSH2. It might work over an already established tunnel connection, but it can definitely not build SSH tunnels by itself.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

Hubert1965

#3 Post by Hubert1965 » 2021-05-13 03:49

boco wrote:
2021-05-12 19:45
It might work over an already established tunnel connection
How? This would be an acceptable solution.

Let's assume, I've already established such a connection from a shell in macOS to the target computer as described in my first posting. How can I tell FileZille to use this existing connection?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2021-05-14 07:30

SSH port forwarding. Enter the forwarded port on localhost in FileZilla, not the target address/port.

You could even use SSH's dynamic port forwarding, where you SSH client acts as a SOCKS5 proxy which you can then configure in FileZilla.

Hubert1965

#5 Post by Hubert1965 » 2021-05-14 09:38

Since I didn't get an answer here, I posted my question also on superuser.com and there I've got an answer.
Read my question and the answer here: FileZilla: connect from macOS via gateway to target