Transfer only different and new files

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

tnkk33
500 Command not understood
First name: Ty
Last name: Griffin

Transfer only different and new files

#1 Post by tnkk33 » 2024-04-27 15:10

I need (would like very much to have) a FileZilla extension that copies only new and changed files from local to server. It would have to work like this:
  • Generate a hash code for each file in my local folder, and put the results in a file.

Compare those hash codes to the existing file of hash codes that is on the server.

Derive from that a list of files that are either (a) different, or (b) exist in the local folder but not on the server.

Transfer only those files to the server, along with the current version of the hash code file.
Is this currently possible in FZ? It's obviously a little more involved that the simple "overwrite if..." options offered by FZ.

If not currently available in FZ, does anybody have any ideas about how to accomplish the steps mentioned above?

Thanks.

boco
Contributor

Re: Transfer only different and new files

#2 Post by boco » 2024-04-27 23:17

Is this currently possible in FZ?
No, and I doubt it will ever be.
If not currently available in FZ, does anybody have any ideas about how to accomplish the steps mentioned above?
Either do the steps manually, using third-party software. FileZilla can aid in transferring the actual files you manually selected. For an automated solution, you might better look for a specialized backup/sync client with online capabilities. Maybe even a more modern transfer protocol, FTP is not really suited for that kind of task.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

tnkk33
500 Command not understood
First name: Ty
Last name: Griffin

Re: Transfer only different and new files

#3 Post by tnkk33 » 2024-05-04 14:58

Thanks very much for the reply, Boco. Not what I wanted to hear, of course, but clear and precise and no-nonsense. I will pursue other options.

Thanks again.