Open an image using the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

MAllen
500 Command not understood
First name: Mike
Last name: Allen

Open an image using the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

#1 Post by MAllen » 2009-02-12 18:17

After upgrading from ver 3.2.0 to 3.2.1 the context menu's "Open" command will no longer display an image file using the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Specifically a .jpg file. The problem seems to be similar to closed bug ticket #3031.

When trying to open a .jpg file Filezilla pops up a message stating that:
The image file cannot be opened. The associated program cannot be found. Please check your filetype associations.

In the Registry in HKey Classes Root under jpegfile the shell open command is defined as:
rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1

A change in 3.2.1 seems to prevent Filezilla from finding the rundll32.exe file. If the above Registry value is changed to the following then Filezilla will open the image file the way it did in ver 3.2.0:
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1

Searching through the Registry it appears that the only time Windows supplies the full path to rundll32 is in ShellNew keys for file extensions. Otherwise it seems that Windows "assumes" the process using the data will know that rundll32.exe is in the System32 folder.

I noticed that Filezilla shows similar behavior in the "Custom filetype associations" text box in Settings. If one tries to add a custom association using just rundll32.exe Filezilla cannot find it. Adding the full path to rundll32 allows Filezilla to save the change. Filezilla still will not open file file, no matter how the other options are changed, unless the above Registry change is made.

While this is more of a bug report then a question I tried submitting a bug a couple of times but I don't appear to have permission to do so. And I don't have time right now to figure that out.

Thanks - Mike