Stop with popups while editing !!!

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Oratorio
500 Command not understood
First name: Ben

Stop with popups while editing !!!

#1 Post by Oratorio » 2009-03-16 14:29

Hi

Is there a way to stop these very annoying popups titled “file has been modified" asking to upload it to server ??

I cannot find any option to stop this

It's very bothering and stupid to ask to upload an unfinished work .. User will do when it's done editing so what's the idea behind reminding the user every second to upload incomplete file ?????

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Stop with popups while editing !!!

#2 Post by botg » 2009-03-16 18:43

They are there for a reason, please search the forums.

Oratorio
First name: Ben

#3 Post by Oratorio » 2009-03-17 10:07

botg wrote:They are there for a reason, please search the forums.
Sorry I see no reason except stupidity of designer of such feature

Before posting I have searched the forum and found nothing except bored people like me

I'm a computer science professional and don't need any advice how to do my work. While I work, I know what I'm doing, and don't want to have to answer repeatedly to unnecessary questions.

The result of this feature is that the file gets uploaded automatically while it is still being written to by the editor, leading to a garbage file on the server. Since it's a script scheduled in crontab in production server so do you imagine the mess of uploading a wrong incomplete script ??

The one who designed this feature is stupid. I will look for another FTP client just to avoid this harassment

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2009-03-17 10:47

The result of this feature is that the file gets uploaded automatically while it is still being written to by the editor, leading to a garbage file on the server. Since it's a script scheduled in crontab in production server so do you imagine the mess of uploading a wrong incomplete script ??
You get exactly that without the prompts. The prompts protect you from this problem.

robert100
First name: Robert
Last name: Winton

#5 Post by robert100 » 2009-03-22 11:52

Crying out loud. I totally agree with Oratorio!

"A file previously opened has been changed. Upload the file to the server?"

All friggin DAY LONG. yes. no. yes. no. no. yes. yes. yes. yes. no. no. no. yes. no. Give me a break please.

How about this? When I want a file uploaded to the server, I will click on local, and drag it to the server? How incredibly cool would that be??

Thanks for listening.

botg
Site Admin

#6 Post by botg » 2009-03-22 12:37

When I want a file uploaded to the server, I will click on local, and drag it to the server?
That is how I do it.

robert100

#7 Post by robert100 » 2009-03-22 14:45

botg wrote:That is how I do it.
... and you don't get this ....

"A file previously opened has been changed. Upload the file to the server?"

... and you don't have to do this ...

yes. no. yes. no. no. yes. yes. yes. yes. no. no. no. yes. no.

?????

Wonderful! Please tell me how! :)

robert100

#8 Post by robert100 » 2009-05-14 00:45

I'm being bothered by fillzilla popups saying a file has been changed -- after I already closed my editor, without wanting to save it. I get several pop-ups after changing several files without saving them.

I also get filezilla popups telling me a file has been changed, after I save it, do I want to upload it -- after I never wanted to upload it. Again, I'll get several pop-ups of this kind too, if I've changed several files.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any way to disable these 'features'. I've looked and asked around. No joy.

So ... went searching for another different ftp program -- was very willing to pay for it. Luckily I found a free and even more popular program. Yea! Just downloaded and installed. Seems to be awesome.

Thanks anyway. Good luck!

manarak
503 Bad sequence of commands
First name: Proutor
Last name: Prout

#9 Post by manarak » 2009-05-14 11:03

I requested about the same thing in a related thread, but without calling names.
http://forum.filezilla-project.org/view ... =1&t=11578

I think the autosync feature should be able to be switched off by the user, and I also think that file offline file editing should be allowed when the autosync feature is switched off.

my 2 cents.

robert100

#10 Post by robert100 » 2009-05-14 17:05

Well said.

Just for the record (if anyone scrolls up) -- I never called anyone any names.

Technically speaking, there's supposed to be a section of this forum for suggestions for improvements. I supposed you might get a flame for not posting your suggestions there?

So, also, just for the record, my main point in posting here was to find out if the lovely popup messages 'feature' could be turned off.

I already have editors and an operating system that tell me when my file has been saved or not, and a workflow that works for me without added layers of 'helpful' popups. Just needed to turn off the popups. Any 'suggestions' were secondary cause I really don't have time to research areas of this forum that are more appropriate for 'suggestions'. That's when I decided to search for an ftp that costs money -- reasoning perhaps that their people might have a budget for focus groups and research of user friendliness. It was worth it for me to buy it. Time is money as they say.

Amazingly my final answer after trying here was to download a different free ftp that totally rocks. I'm not sure it's appropriate for me to mention it specifically by name, so I won't? But it has certainly proven to be an eloquent solution.

epicdiyom
First name: Epic
Last name: Diyom

#11 Post by epicdiyom » 2009-05-23 05:44

Is there really no way to turn off these popups? If that's the case, I'm done with FileZilla.

botg
Site Admin

#12 Post by botg » 2009-05-23 08:15

No way to turn off, like I said a million times before they are there to protect you against data corruption.

spootieho
504 Command not implemented
First name: Spootie
Last name: Ho

#13 Post by spootieho » 2009-06-10 21:02

These popups are ridiculous. It is treating us like we are new to FTP. They will likely drive the more experienced people away from the product. I am already considering using other software.

I upgraded Filezilla from a previous version because my xml file crashed and got wiped out. I wish I hadn't upgraded to FileZilla 3. These popups are so annoying that I would rather put up with all my site info getting wiped.

It would be so nice, if there was a setting where we could enable and disable them. It is the obvious solution that would keep the most people happy.

Also, the upload is a little shortsighted. Depending on what remote folder you had open at the time you opened a local file, it will upload to that remote folder. This means you can possibly overwrite files in a folder that you didnt want to upload to. IT WILL POTENTIALLY CAUSE MORE PROBLEMS THAN IT IS TRYING TO SOLVE.

Bronxgodzilla
450 Internal Error

#14 Post by Bronxgodzilla » 2009-06-13 16:26

spootieho wrote:These popups are ridiculous. It is treating us like we are new to FTP. It would be so nice, if there was a setting where we could enable and disable them. It is the obvious solution that would keep the most people happy.

Also, the upload is a little shortsighted. Depending on what remote folder you had open at the time you opened a local file, it will upload to that remote folder. This means you can possibly overwrite files in a folder that you didnt want to upload to. IT WILL POTENTIALLY CAUSE MORE PROBLEMS THAN IT IS TRYING TO SOLVE.
I saw this short-sightedness immediately when I started using FZ two months ago! I couldnt believe program was not aware of this, and was missing original %%/ directory in its code. DAMN!! NEVER use the popup and am ALWAYS saying NO to it. I always move things manually. What a nuisance!! This "Protection" reason the Site Admin says is pure mindlessness and a great example of super-geeks writing code for cuteness, not for users. and this Site Admin is also a model of friendliness, ain't he?

robert100

#15 Post by robert100 » 2009-06-13 17:47

spootieho wrote:I would rather put up with all my site info getting wiped.
I've been uploading / downloading files -- without popups -- and without problems -- ever since the days of 'bulletin boards'. For decades. Never have had a problem.

The mod's point about 'ftp software needs popups to avoid corruption' (did I get that right) is a new one for me. Isn't it the computer operating system's job to do the 'heavy lifting' of reading / writing files on drives without corruption???