Stop with popups while editing !!!

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

boco
Contributor

Re: Stop with popups while editing !!!

#46 Post by boco » 2011-08-10 10:33

By using unofficial versions, you forfeit all support from us. But you probably know that.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

zenzen
500 Command not understood
First name: zen
Last name: zen

#47 Post by zenzen » 2011-10-10 03:23

Cyberduck doesnt have this!

WinScp doesnt have this!

This filezilla popup is irritating!!

kalar
First name: Kala
Last name: Raymond

#48 Post by kalar » 2014-03-03 22:47

Been using filezilla for many years, maybe ten or more. I have enjoyed the program at it has done what I wanted it to silently and without complaint. I have referred countless people to the program . . .

Now in the last few weeks (I don't run the updater regularly) every single time I save work to a file I get a popup in filezilla asking me "a file previously opened has been changed, upload this file to the server?" with an option to delete the local file O.o

All I can say is wtf and why won't it go away . . . FOREVER

I did try it out after getting tired of just x'ing it out.

Option 1 click yes - A file is transferred, but my recently saved changes are not reflected
Option 2 click no - window closes

So how does this benefit anyone in any circumstances, and are there any recommendations for other ftp clients that work like filezilla did before this "enhancement"? I do not mean to antagonize, I truly appreciate the work that I have benefited from over the years, but we not so good a match anymore.

So sad . . . Been using this app so long for so many different customers filezilla had become synonymous with ftp for me QQ

boco
Contributor

#49 Post by boco » 2014-03-03 23:21

If you are using 3.7.4 right now, please update to 3.7.4.1. There is a bug in the previous version that causes excessive file change prompts.

hilogogifts
First name: Nathan
Last name: Hi

#50 Post by hilogogifts » 2014-03-04 15:13

wow. really ?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#51 Post by botg » 2014-03-04 18:59

Yup.

potter223
First name: Gordon
Last name: Potter

#52 Post by potter223 » 2014-03-07 14:37

boco wrote:If you are using 3.7.4 right now, please update to 3.7.4.1. There is a bug in the previous version that causes excessive file change prompts.
I am using 3.7.4.1 and I have the "file has changed" dialog box.
I know everyone has complained about this popup "feature" on this post so I won't belabor the point.

I would assume there is a setting to fix this?

Any tips would be a great help.

Thanks everyone,
:o

boco
Contributor

#53 Post by boco » 2014-03-07 18:48

My statement is only for people getting the prompt continually without the file having changed, actually. The prompt itself appearing when FileZilla detects a change in a file being edited is by design and cannot be disabled.
I would assume there is a setting to fix this?
Automatic upload without confirming the prompt is not possible.

mmitchell

#54 Post by mmitchell » 2019-05-01 17:08

This is a painful behavior to deal with when you're doing a lot of small file edits throughout the day. Transmit dealt with the issue of file corruption by adding a "safe save" feature that transfers the local file to a new temporary location on the remote server and then overwrites the existing file only once the transfer is complete. I often work on some really sketchy and brittle connections and I've never had it corrupt a file this way; if it fails, it just aborts the transfer and deletes the temp file (if it still can). Unfortunately Transmit isn't cross platform so it's only usable on some of my devices but I think it was a pretty clever solution. The only downside is that every once in a blue moon, I have to go delete the half-baked temp file, but I think a lot of people would prefer that to the popup.

svetaklisko
First name: Anna
Last name: Tsevcenko

#55 Post by svetaklisko » 2019-05-08 07:14

mmitchell wrote:
2019-05-01 17:08
This is a painful behavior to deal with when you're doing a lot of small file edits throughout the day. Transmit dealt with the issue of file corruption by adding a "safe save" feature that transfers the local file to a new temporary location on the remote server and then overwrites the existing file on my only once the transfer is complete. I often work on some really sketchy and brittle connections and I've never had it corrupt a file this way; if it fails, it just aborts the transfer and deletes the temp file (if it still can). Unfortunately Transmit isn't cross platform so it's only usable on some of my devices but I think it was a pretty clever solution. The only downside is that every once in a blue moon, I have to go delete the half-baked temp file, but I think a lot of people would prefer that to the popup.
yes everything is much easier with it when having good stable connection, I ve been strugeling with same issuses before.

funtastic
First name: Herm
Last name: Herm

#56 Post by funtastic » 2021-06-10 11:39

Hi,
I also have to say that this attitude is really annoying.
I really respect that you don't want to corrupt files and set actual behavior as default.
But you should have noticed how many people complain about it.
So why don't offer a setting that can be activated by the user on his own risk that allows an automatic upload after saving after a configurable delay ?

This way you would be on the safe side and can stay with your nerd dogmas and on the other hand everybody who is happy with a 99,99999% solution could use the different configuration.

Herm