SFTP Sync

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Werdhi1
500 Command not understood

SFTP Sync

#1 Post by Werdhi1 » 2004-04-06 02:51

Hi. I am interested in finding an ftp (or multi-purpose file backup/sync) program that supports Secure FTP (e.g., SyncBack looks good but does not support SFTP -- see http://www.syncback.com). I have heard good things about FileZilla (and I like open source) ... seems to be used by some universities. My University is discontinuing any insecure connections to its servers. No more plain text passwords of any kind. This means telnet and all simple FTP connections will be blocked. They have long distributed Secure Shell SSH and SFTP but the FTP program does not have a sync/compare/mirror capacity.

As they're not allowing simple FTP connections, I can no longer use Frontpage for my website publishing (it doesn't support SFTP and they do not support FP server extentions). I want to continue using Frontpage, so I need to "publish" to my PC and then upload the files via a Secure FTP connection. I can do that with Secure Shell FTP, but it doesn't sync. What I want to AVOID is having to upload EVERY file each time I publish to update those files that I've changed :roll: Frontpage does this as a matter of course by keeping track of the files that have changed and only uploading/publishing them to the server but I've yet to find a Secure (or even insecure) FTP program (dedicated or otherwise) that will upload only the CHANGED files when comparing my website directory (as published locally on my computer) and the remote website (on the University's server).

Any thoughts are helpful. TIA :D

:arrow: Related Posting: http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/forum/ ... 13846a34d1

Posting noted here mentions that this may make its way into v3. Could I be so lucky? Would that then solve my problems? If so, there's a good number of people at my university who will be grateful when I tell them they too have a way. :lol:

Best,

Werdhi
Dell Dimension 4550
PIV 2.4 Ghz
Windows XP Home