FZ Fails to Start after years of use

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

needainstall
500 Command not understood
First name: Joey
Last name: JoeJoe

FZ Fails to Start after years of use

#1 Post by needainstall » 2009-08-15 22:11

Hi all. I've been using FZ for years and absolutely love(d) it.

This morning, however, when I started FZ I got nothing but a jumbled white page, where portions of the FZ panes could been seen beneath.
The program remained unresponsive so I closed it from the task manager.

I rebooted and same thing. So I figured something had gotten corrupted. I uninstalled the program and deleted the registry keys.

Then I downloaded the latest version, 3.2.7 and installed it. To my disappointment the same problem remains.

Nothing has changed on my system. No new software, hardware, nothing. It is exactly as it has been for the last year, Windows XP SP3. Just all of a sudden FZ will no longer load, even after completely uninistalling it then reinstalling a new version.

I did notice, however, while FZ is trying to start, a huge amount of data passing through my network connection that isn't there before or after FZ is starting. Not sure why.

I thought at first FZ may be trying to connect to the last FTP site I was connected to a few days ago. FZ would not be able to since the password has changed since then. But I would expect if this were the problem that it would timeout after some point. I left it in the non-responsive white page state for nearly five minutes. It just stayed non-responsive.

In any event, after years and years of using FZ, it looks like I will have to move to something else, as I have work that must be done today, and I have at this point lost an hour+ trying to uninstall, reinstall and get FZ to work - all with no luck.

boco
Contributor

Re: FZ Fails to Start after years of use

#2 Post by boco » 2009-08-15 22:41

I uninstalled the program and deleted the registry keys.
FileZilla does not use the registry. All configuration is in %APPDATA%\Filezilla, or ~/.filezilla .
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FZ Fails to Start after years of use

#3 Post by botg » 2009-08-16 08:18

Nothing has changed on my system. No new software, hardware, nothing. It is exactly as it has been for the last year, Windows XP SP3. Just all of a sudden FZ will no longer load, even after completely uninistalling it then reinstalling a new version.
So you didn't visit Windowsupdate for one year?

No wonder FileZilla doesn't work anymore, by not installing updates a lot has changed on your system, lots of malware probably installed itself without you knowing.