Double entries in site manager after import

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

jicman
504 Command not implemented
First name: jose isaias
Last name: cabrera

Double entries in site manager after import

#1 Post by jicman » 2010-02-25 20:30

Greetings and salutations!

After importing a previously exported settings file, the entries of the site manager doubled for the programs already there. Now, I don't mind this happening if there were changes between the other ones, but if they are identical, they should either overwrite, or not import those entries.

Is there a fix for this or am I doing something wrong?

What I do is that I have a few PCs that I share my settings with. So, when I add a new host, what I do is that I import the settings from a shared spot, then export it again. However, when I import it, the previously saved hosts are doubled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

josé

boco
Contributor

Re: Double entries in site manager after import

#2 Post by boco » 2010-02-26 00:19

You can export/import single entries. Just right click the entry in the Site Manager and select "Export...".
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

jicman

#3 Post by jicman » 2010-02-26 15:31

Yes, I know that. But, why? This tool is perhaps the best FTP client and server that I have worked with, and yet, such a simple client user usage is not available. I am still trying to figure out why there is such an opposition to fixing this. I was also thinking, while searching the groups, that I could not believe that this has not being brought up before.

Here is a FileZilla user's heavenly dream:
Import a previously exported xml settings file and not seeing any "FTP Site" and "FTP Site 2".

I love you guys. :-)

josé

jicman

#4 Post by jicman » 2010-03-01 15:01

By the way, one more fix needed for this...

When one imports an exported XML file, the site manager does not remembers the position where it was. It goes back to the top. When one has a bunch of these entries to delete, because of this double entry problem, at least, fix the Site Manager to remember the last position that it was after the delete. Otherwise, one has to browse all the way to that spot again.

Thanks,

josé

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#5 Post by botg » 2010-03-02 00:04

Good point.

Seven
503 Bad sequence of commands
First name: Adrian

#6 Post by Seven » 2010-03-02 20:11

I came here to post the same problem.
Having backed up my site configuration file I found I had to reimport it after restoring to an earlier image of my hard drive.
Rather than overwrite the existing entries it just doubles them up.

Seven

#7 Post by Seven » 2010-03-05 15:45

I was forced to reimport my site entries once again following restoring my PC to a previous date today. I now have 4 of every site in the list making a total of some 30+ sites. This is ridiculous!

If there is no fix available please at least tell me how to manually remove all the duplicates?

jicman

#8 Post by jicman » 2010-03-05 16:03

Seven wrote:I was forced to reimport my site entries once again following restoring my PC to a previous date today. I now have 4 of every site in the list making a total of some 30+ sites. This is ridiculous!

If there is no fix available please at least tell me how to manually remove all the duplicates?
Click on the File menu. The choose Site Manager. Click on the entry that you want to delete and hit the Delete button almost on the bottom.

Seven

#9 Post by Seven » 2010-03-05 16:26

Thank you. :D
Is there a chance that a future release will be made to ignore duplicates?

jicman

#10 Post by jicman » 2010-03-05 18:05

Seven wrote:Thank you. :D
Is there a chance that a future release will be made to ignore duplicates?
That has been one of my life questions for a few years, now. :-)

gnich40
500 Command not understood

#11 Post by gnich40 » 2010-08-15 04:42

If you really want to get rid of the duplicates this is what you have to do. I'm using Windows 7. I went to User>AppData>Roaming>FileZilla. There are 6 XML files. Make sure you have exported a good set from another FileZilla installation (I have it on another computer) or you saved the XML from before. Delete all of the XML in that "FileZilla" folder under AppData>Roaming>FileZilla. Uninstall FileZilla. Install a new fresh install. There will be no data in your Site Manager. Import that data which you have saved. Bingo, a Site Manager with no duplicates.

I don't know why this info could not have been discovered or provided before now. :roll:

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#12 Post by botg » 2010-08-15 08:47

The reinstall isn't needed.

jicman

#13 Post by jicman » 2010-08-15 17:56

Do you really expect anyone to uninstall and install FileZilla every time we need to import a new host file export? Not likely.

Rygel

#14 Post by Rygel » 2010-10-30 04:19

I know this is older thread but I think I have something of value to add (based on what I learned from gnich40's post above, thank you gnich40!) and my own search of an easy way to have a synchronized "Site Manager" list on two separate computers.

IF ALL SOMEONE WANTS TO DO IS HAVE THE SAME LIST OF ENTRIES IN THE SITE MANAGER ON TWO DIFFERENT PC'S, HERE IS ONE WAY TO DO IT (and the easiest for me so far based on my setup).

Scenario:
I have a laptop and a desktop. I use the Export feature in FZ to export my Site Manager list on one machine to an external drive (or USB key) and the use the Import feature in FZ to import my latest updated list of sites on the other machine. BUT Like many other users, I've learned that if I export my Site Manager list from FZ on one computer and then import it on the other, I end up with duplicate Site Manager entries (and it's a real pain to have to always delete the entries one by one).

Solution:
Once I have a clean updated Site Manager list of entries on the one system, I export that to my external drive (or USB key) and the BEFORE I import it in FZ on the other machine, I simply do this:

1. Go to the User>AppData>Roaming>FileZilla folder on my hard drive of the target machine (where "User" should be replaced with my actual username on the PC)

2. Delete ONLY the sitemanager.xml file from that folder (make sure FileZilla is closed before doing this)

3. Open FileZilla on the target machine and the Site Manager is now empty. Now I just Import the Site Manager export file that I exported from the other machine.

Tada! There are all of my up to date Site Manager entries with no duplicates. Then if I happen to add a new Site Manager entry on the current machine, I simply perform the same quick 3 steps in reverse / respectively.

No need to delete all of your xml files, and no need to uninstall/re-install.

Obviously you need to be careful and make sure that you have a backup of your Site Manager (sitemanager.xml) on some form of media at all times so that you don't lost any entries.

I hope this post helps someone else who might have the same situation that I do, and is looking for the easiest way (so far, as of October 2010) to clear out their site manager / remove duplicate site manager entries but still be able to Import them from one computer to another and always have and updated list of all their site manager entries that is the same on more than one machine.

FilzillaFan
500 Command not understood
First name: Filzilla
Last name: Fan

#15 Post by FilzillaFan » 2015-05-27 17:52

I just got a Filezilla update and it made me remember that this problem is a hassle so I came here to see if anyone else had the problem.

I know that these things take time, but this problem HAS been around for 5 YEARS

I have 3 copies of entries, which when you have lots of entries it a real pain but it gets worse.

You see I would not mind going through them and manually deleting them but unlike other windows apps, Filezilla does not allow you to select more than one (using the CTRL key and Mouse) it also does not allow you to use the....DELETE key. No you have to select a single site, click the delete button on the screen, Filezilla then jumps to the top of the list of entries in site manager (which is a lot because there are now hundreds of duplicates from every time I try to keep my desktop and laptop in sync.

So right now I have

Site A
Site A 2
Site A 3
Site B
Site B 2
Site B 3
Site C
Site C 2
Site C 3
Site D
Site D 2
Site D 3
Site E
Site E 2
Site E 3
Site F
Site F 2
Site F 3
Site G
Site G 2
Site G 3

Now the only field that is different from these three copies of the same site is the name e.g. Site G 3

So would it really be that difficult to have a dedupe button that checked all sites fields except the name and when it found duplicates (with 2 or 3 etc) added it just offered us a chance to bin them? It could create an XML file of deleted sites just in case.

Do we REALLY have to export, find some app with an XML editor, delete the duplicates, save the file, delete the site files in Filezilla and then import the amended file?

Come on, this feature would really be appreciated!