uploaded audio files now requiring password to view

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

kmelody
500 Command not understood
First name: Kay
Last name: Grace

uploaded audio files now requiring password to view

#1 Post by kmelody » 2010-04-17 23:08

I have used Filezilla for a couple of years now, and have uploaded files to various website of mine without a problem, using the same process I describe below. I recently updated my version (3 days ago), and don't know whether that is part of the issue.

On my site, which is a wordpress blog, I created a page, then uploaded an mp3 audio file to this location, using Filezilla: /public_html/audio_files/ then the name of the file.
On the first test of the link (which is supposed to be a free download), it seemed to work. When I tested it again, a minute later, and when others went there, it asks for a password, (my ftp/website login).

I checked the file on the server side, and right-clicked it to get the URL for the file, and when I paste it, it comes up like this: ftp://kg2008@www.stressfreein7minutes.c ... tation.mp3.

I read the posts about using and not using FTP in the URL, but cannot seem to figure out a way to change it. I thought I was uploading the file to the correct place, as described above. Is this something I need to change in the setup within Filezilla, or am I uploading it incorrectly?

Please use 4th grade language and step by step directions if you can help; it helps make it clear and saves extra posting back and forth - thank you in advance for any help you can give!

Cypress
226 Transfer OK
First name: J

Re: uploaded audio files now requiring password to view

#2 Post by Cypress » 2010-04-18 08:19

kmelody wrote:I checked the file on the server side, and right-clicked it to get the URL for the file, and when I paste it, it comes up like this: ftp://kg2008@www.stressfreein7minutes.c ... tation.mp3.
That is because the password part of the url is missing.
kmelody wrote: I read the posts about using and not using FTP in the URL, but cannot seem to figure out a way to change it. I thought I was uploading the file to the correct place, as described above. Is this something I need to change in the setup within Filezilla, or am I uploading it incorrectly?

Please use 4th grade language and step by step directions if you can help; it helps make it clear and saves extra posting back and forth - thank you in advance for any help you can give!
Your website URL POINTS(yes like a finger pointing) to the /public_html/ folder you see in filezilla.

So to convert the link over do this:
1. Open notepad or something that you can paste text into.
2. use the filezilla copy url to clipboard function.
3. paste the copied url into notepad.
4. change ftp at the front to http
5. delete "kg2008@"
6. delete this from the URL "/public_html"
7. select the new URL you made

If you did exactly what I said then that is the URL.