LAN transfers of large files

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

thespooler
500 Command not understood

LAN transfers of large files

#1 Post by thespooler » 2004-04-20 15:22

I'm having quite some trouble to transfer large files ( >1 Gig) over a LAN.
I've tried FlashFXP and it works great, but I clearly prefer using pensourced software so I decided to post this.
I suspected that either the download itself freezes for some time and then resumes or only the queue/progress window freezes. So, I decided to compare FileZilla and FlashFXP with the same settings (active download, no proxy on a switched lan) on the same file, same server, same client machine.
Both FileZilla and FlashFXP took about 7mins to download at an average speed of 3.5mbps (oh and btw, it would be nice to have transfert stats, average KB and time).
So I my guess is that only the progress window freezes. In FileZilla, the download progress stopped at 14% went up to 65% minutes later but nothing changed during the time between, not the elapsed time, not the remaining time nor the speed or completed data.

eddan
226 Transfer OK

#2 Post by eddan » 2004-05-07 19:05

My quick answer would be; wait for FZ3.

Such errors are probably hard for BotG(the developer of FZ) to track/reproduce. Sad to say that you're probably just going to have to stick with the problem (which is just a display issue really, as the transfer is working) until FZ3 which hopefully will work for you.

Remember, I'm not a developer of FZ. I'm just another user like yourself - so don't regard this as an 'official' answer :)

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2004-05-07 20:00

The problem with the freezing progress bar is caused by the high transfer speed and the speed the data has to be written to disk. Appareantly this ate most of the CPU power on your system, leaving not enough for the progress bar.