FileZilla Client: Error loading XML file

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

tialoc
500 Command not understood
First name: Sean
Last name: Brown

FileZilla Client: Error loading XML file

#1 Post by tialoc » 2014-07-09 14:15

Since upgrading to Windows 7 64 bit earlier this year (at work) when I open FileZilla I get the error "Error loading XML file". This occurs quite frequently and I have been doing the suggested step of either editing the file and saving it OR deleting the file and letting the application recreate it. I understand that several people that have/had this problem consider that this is the solution. My question; Is there a more permanent solution to this? I use the application daily and have done at least two upgrades since installing FileZilla, my current version is 3.8.1.

The error states: "Error loading XML file: The file 'C:\Users\<my id>\AppData\Roaming\FileZilla\filezilla.xml' could not be loaded. The XML document is not well-formed: Error reading end tag. For the session the default settings will be used. Any changes to the settings will not be saved."

As others have stated, when viewed in the text editor you see that the closing tag is corrupted something like: </FileZ%^&*@

I have seen this with other files such as "queue.xml" but as I look in the directory now I only see "queue.sqlite3". When I close the application I make sure I disconnect from the server and close any open tabs.

I realize this is free software but I have always trusted FileZilla as good software made by good people. If this only occurred occasionally it would not be something I would be writing about but this is occurring at least once every day.

Has anyone been able to solve this permanently?

Thank you

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FileZilla Client: Error loading XML file

#2 Post by botg » 2014-07-09 17:10

This issue usually occurs when FileZilla is not being cleanly shut down, e.g. when powering off your computer by pulling the plug, or by pressing the reset button.