need older version please

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

darkangel612
503 Bad sequence of commands
First name: Mary
Last name: Watson

need older version please

#1 Post by darkangel612 » 2010-08-31 05:38

i, unfortunately can not get tiger+ for my g4 tower...I am running 10.3.9 and would like to use filezilla

is there somewhere that there might be an older version for download?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: need older version please

#2 Post by botg » 2010-08-31 06:09

I do not think FileZilla has ever been available on OS X 10.3

Note that OS X 10.3 is not supported by Apple anymore! Using that old version puts you at a great risk due to many known security vulnerabilities in 10.3 which will never get fixed. Consider upgrading to a better operating system such as any recent Linux distribution if you cannot upgrade to a more recent OS X version.

broomdodger
226 Transfer OK
First name: Bill
Last name: Muench

#3 Post by broomdodger » 2010-08-31 06:30

darkangel612 wrote:i, unfortunately can not get tiger+ for my g4 tower...I am running 10.3.9 and would like to use filezilla
Tiger and Leopard both work well on a G4 tower. Try eBay or craigslist.

darkangel612

#4 Post by darkangel612 » 2010-09-01 02:09

yes I know it or both will work on my G4 however funds are very tight....non existant at the moment and at least until social security decides if I am approved for disability...the state takes forever...lol

i will look at the other places to see if there is a way to get a pal to help me out with the newer OS..I do need to get it upgraded.

well I can at least trouble shoot the pc used that I have with the pc version so am not totally out, it is a very easy ftp program...loads simpler than ws_ftp that's for sure

thanks for the answers and the proggie.

broomdodger
226 Transfer OK

#5 Post by broomdodger » 2010-09-01 03:29

darkangel612 wrote:yes I know it or both will work on my G4 however funds are very tight....non existant at the moment and at least until social security decides if I am approved for disability...the state takes forever...lol

i will look at the other places to see if there is a way to get a pal to help me out with the newer OS..I do need to get it upgraded.

well I can at least trouble shoot the pc used that I have with the pc version so am not totally out, it is a very easy ftp program...loads simpler than ws_ftp that's for sure

thanks for the answers and the proggie.
Firefox 2.0.0.20 works with 10.3.9
FireFTP Version 0.97.2 is compatible with Firefox 2.0.0.20

Have you tried it? Is is free.
<http://fireftp.mozdev.org/help.html>
Scroll down to "Do you have older versions of FireFTP available?"

darkangel612

#6 Post by darkangel612 » 2010-09-01 04:20

yup that is the version of FF i use and will check out that version of ftp too

ty

botg
Site Admin

#7 Post by botg » 2010-09-01 06:09

Isn't that version of Firefox extremely outdated as well? Especially browsers should always be kept up-to-dated or you'll attrack malware like a supermassive black hole.

broomdodger
226 Transfer OK

#8 Post by broomdodger » 2010-09-01 06:31

botg wrote:Isn't that version of Firefox extremely outdated as well? Especially browsers should always be kept up-to-dated or you'll attrack malware like a supermassive black hole.
Yep! But that is the last Firefox update for MacOS 10.3.9 and darkangel612 sez cannot affort updating to 10.5.8...
I am not a Firefox fan, but Safari for 10.3.9 will crash on many sites.
So user beware.
Also may be rather buggy FireFTP.
But it might work well enough, long enough, until updating to 10.5.8

darkangel612

#9 Post by darkangel612 » 2010-09-01 07:30

yea first lost jpb, then mother with alzheimers got worse and could ot look for work to care for her, bedridden and all, then she died just this july and again without income.

but that which does not kill us makes us just go crazy and been there done that you'll enjoy it if you try it...lol

one day at a time we go.

Ff works fairly well there are only a few sites that won't work, right now i use transmit but it has gotten a little iffy at time, can upload and download but it won't let me chmod anymore.

just wanted to get this software to help a pal of mine with hers, she is learning ftp and this one is the easiest there is without purchasing something. I thought it would be easier to talk her through

thanks all

botg
Site Admin

#10 Post by botg » 2010-09-01 20:35

There's always the possibility of using some Linux distribution on your computer. Most of them are totally free, the only cost might be a little bit of time to learn the ropes. Have a look at Debian Linux, a very mature distribution that is available free of charge for a large variety of systems, including PowerPC G4. In addition to all the documentation and other information available on the internet, most public libraries also carry books about Linux to help users getting to know Linux. But most importantly (in my unbiased, 150% objective opinion :roll: ), FileZilla too is available under Linux.

To cut to the chase: Lack of money is not an excuse to run outdated and insecure software.
that which does not kill us makes us just go crazy
:silly:

darkangel612

#11 Post by darkangel612 » 2010-09-02 00:41

thanks for the info but when i do get my hands on any money it goes to bills and food...the computer unfortunately is not on the high end of the need list.

am hopeful to get things in the black again and when i do trust me even if the ram does not go highr I will look into the OS and a graphics card to since my ati is antiquated by standards too...like me

botg
Site Admin

#12 Post by botg » 2010-09-02 06:06

Did you even read my post? You do not need money to upgrade to a modern, up-to-date operating system.

darkangel612

#13 Post by darkangel612 » 2010-09-02 08:19

yes i did and when I am over the grieving process of losing mother and get a brain...or at least a bigger part than i have right now I will certainly look into it.

ty

Derek Asirvadem
500 Command not understood
First name: Derek
Last name: Asirvadem

#14 Post by Derek Asirvadem » 2010-09-20 10:42

botg
botg wrote:Did you even read my post? You do not need money to upgrade to a modern, up-to-date operating system.
Just noticed this thread while searching for older version s of FileZilla to download.

Let's not get precious about Linux. MacOS (not Linux, free or otherwise) is for Apple machines. They may run Intel chipsets but that's not the entire and final truth. I am quite happy with Linux on Dell and IBM PCs, but it is not worth trying on Apples.

And please, let's not get precious about older versions. Millions of people run Macs that are past their 3-year support cycle. As most unix types will know, there is no no to be on the latest greatest o/s, especially if the machine never connects to the net; and even if it is connected, we may have firewalls, etc (we do not need every machine to have every capability loaded). Newer versions (eg snow leopard) provide the full functionality of the latest machines; they actually run slower on the older machines while providing s/w features for h/w features that the machine does not have (and yes, I have tried it and found out the hard way). I have a 5 year old Mac which is perfectly matched (then and now) to MacOS 10.4.11 and there a no need whatsoever to put anything newer on it and make run slower, I have no "security holes" to close. Further, Apple may not be officially supporting it, but let me assure you that I still receive s/w updates automatically: Apple is a bit religious about closing any security holes. There are scores of h/w companies here who service older Macs, so nothing is lost; there is no vulnerability. The $0 price has very little to do with it. Apples and MacOS are not PCs that need upgrading every year or two.

And when I get my next Mac, I will get Snow Leopard free, so it is doubly silly to pay money for something that I will get free and slows my systems down.

Anyway, both you and I digress. Back to the posted question, which I too, need answered. I have been quite happy with FileZilla 3.3.3 on MacOS 10.4.11 for some time, thankyou Everyone. A friend couldn't connect to the net to do some important work, and I loaned him my Mac for 2 hours. Unfortunately he responded to the "new version available" message and helpfully downloaded 3.4.1 (you know how it is, young people these days are programmed to grab the latest greatest in everything and have no concept of other considerations). It does not even launch. Checked the boards, and it is for 10.5.1 and above. Ouch.

Anyone

Does anyone know, from where I can download FileZilla 3.3.3 ? I just need to get back to my working toolset, and I would really appreciate if we stick to the question and not get distracted re older Macs, older FileZillas, older chips, and the price of fish. I would like to stay with FileZilla (ie. not migrate CuteFtp, FireFTP, etc). 3.3.4 is only two weeks old, so 3.3.3 must be lying around somewhere handy on this site, right ?

Cheers
Derek

broomdodger
226 Transfer OK

#15 Post by broomdodger » 2010-09-20 15:21

Derek Asirvadem wrote:Does anyone know, from where I can download FileZilla 3.3.3 ?

Cheers
Derek
This site has the latest version compiled to run on 10.4.11
I use it daily and it works great.

http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Unofficial_Binaries

-Bill