Upload is successful but file doesn't change

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

cwmcaddon
500 Command not understood
First name: Stephen
Last name: Lyons

Upload is successful but file doesn't change

#1 Post by cwmcaddon » 2010-09-12 08:59

During the last few weeks I have experienced a problem with upload. I alter an html file and upload it. The upload appears to be successful in the log but the new file doesn't replace the old one. I can upload brand new files without difficulty but I simply can't replace/update an existing file. This is happening on both an iMAC and a Windows PC.

boco
Contributor

Re: Upload is successful but file doesn't change

#2 Post by boco » 2010-09-12 17:12

Did you clear the browser cache before checking?
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

cwmcaddon
First name: Stephen
Last name: Lyons

#3 Post by cwmcaddon » 2010-09-13 12:42

Why would I need to do that.. the file size in the right window in Filezilla is not altering. I can see that the upload hasn't worked without looking at the online content in a browser.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2010-09-13 22:27

Please post the log.
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.

NolanDubyu
First name: Nolan
Last name: Wagner

#5 Post by NolanDubyu » 2010-09-19 21:13

I'm am having the same problem.

Response: 230-FTP-SSL (AUTH TLS, Explicit FTPS or FTPES) security is available
Response: 230 User logged in.
Command: OPTS UTF8 ON
Response: 200 OPTS UTF8 command successful - UTF8 encoding now ON.
Status: Starting upload of C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\TheirLove\iApp.htm
Command: CWD /
Response: 250 CWD command successful.
Command: TYPE A
Response: 200 Type set to A.
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (173,201,233,128,195,107).
Command: STOR iApp.htm
Response: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection.
Response: 226 Transfer complete.
Status: File transfer successful, transferred 2,335 bytes in 1 second

But nothing on that page actually changes.

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2010-09-20 02:34

But nothing on that page actually changes.
If you mean the webpage, then it's because your browser serves a cached page. Try clearing the cache.

Gazington
First name: Gary

#7 Post by Gazington » 2010-09-24 11:44

Hi,

First of all, first post so greetings to you all! :D

I, too, have just started experiencing the above error. I have tried to update a CSS file (previously had file type set to Auto but also tried with ASCII, per a suggestion elsewhere) and it just won't update!

Info:
Status: Starting upload of J:\Documents and Settings\GB\My Documents\.........\CSS\layout.css
Command: CWD /public_html/CSS
Response: 250 CWD command successful
Command: TYPE A
Response: 200 Type set to A
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (94,136,40,103,67,204)
Command: STOR layout.css
Response: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for layout.css
Response: 226 Transfer complete
Status: File transfer successful, transferred 5,573 bytes in 1 second
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Type set to I
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (94,136,40,103,69,155)
Command: LIST
Response: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
Response: 226 Transfer complete

The log is stating the transfer is successful (see highlighted above) but the right window pane is still showing the previous file as being current and, subsequently, the website is not updating.

Any help much appreciated as it's driving me insane!

Love Filezilla and first time have experienced any probs in years of use.

Many thanks,

G

Edit: Running XP and Filezilla V3.3.4.1

happelman
First name: Harry
Last name: Appelman

#8 Post by happelman » 2010-12-06 17:38

Hi,

(First post...)

I have had the exact same problem. The log says that the transfer is successful, but the file on the right panel doesn't change size to reflect the updated local file. The web page does not change. Yes, I HAVE cleared my browser cache.

I've had this problem intermittently and it usually resolves by some mysterious combination of repeating the upload sequence, rebooting my computer, and/or waiting. But I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong (or is it a bug?)

thanks for any help,
Harry

pipedream
First name: Peggy
Last name: Durant

#9 Post by pipedream » 2010-12-08 05:02

I'm having the same difficulty. I run a high school wrestling website. Every event in each season for the last 10 years is detailed & archived, as well a much of the history of the last 75 years the program has been in existence. Each year new pages are added for the Schedule, Roster, Results for high school and jr hi. Most pages on the website have a list of clickable links on the left side that must be updated annually to always go to the current year's schedule, roster, & results for high school, junior high and elementary wrestling programs. Last night I updated all the links from /10/ to /11/ (many hundreds of these in over 2000 files using "find" & "replace" in Dreamweaver. I then uploaded the entire website with filezilla which took about 20 minutes. I received confirmation that all the files transferred successfully....but the changes were not made on the server.

I had the same problem uploading individual files the night before...and the problem was intermittent. Sometimes the changes were made and sometimes it took two or three tries for the changes to appear even though Filezilla reported successful transfers. And, yes, I refreshed the page(s).

I, too, wonder if I am doing something wrong. I am using Filezilla because my Dreamweaver FTP which I had been using for 6 years decided not to work. Troubleshooting with my hosting company, Network Solutions resulted in them telling me they couldn't figure out the problem and why didn't I try Filezilla as that is what people working for Network Solutions use. I have read the information about uploading files with Filezilla and I was following the procedure correctly.

Any suggestions? or do I have to individually check every file to make sure the changes were made? (An almost impossible task due to time & work constraints and the impending start of the new season with this weekend's opening tournament). I am a volunteer lay person and a newbie to Filezilla - please take that into consideration when responding.

webless
First name: Colin
Last name: Bunyan

#10 Post by webless » 2011-01-09 10:11

I have been having the same problem. Appears to be successful but, nothing changes on the website and the web host tells me nothing has been sent to the server. I have been pulling my hair out over this one. And now I appear to have deleted the public_html folder. I don't see it anymore but webhost says it's still there. They have deleted the contents and it's an empty folder but I don't see it.

mikenz
First name: Mike
Last name: McDade

#11 Post by mikenz » 2011-01-09 17:19

oops, maybe I should have searched more before I created a new thread as I seem to be having a similar issue - I am fairly new to Filezilla and am happy to accept it is my user error if someone can point me in the right direction. Cheers, Mike

http://forum.filezilla-project.org/view ... 801#p73801

happelman
First name: Harry
Last name: Appelman

#12 Post by happelman » 2011-03-05 22:54

AHA! I figured out what is causing my problem. At least in my case, the problem relates to the web editor (Expression Web), not with FileZilla. I found out I need to SAVE the edited page (OK, duh, I guess) before publishing it in Exp. Web. This will upload the correct edited file. This seems to solve the problem for now.
(I thought the edited version on the screen would be the one published, but apparently the saved version is what it uses).
-Harry

q4legend
First name: steve
Last name: mchugh

#13 Post by q4legend » 2011-03-09 15:27

Hi,

Been having the same issues with my index.html file but only for a certain site.

The upload from local site to remote is successful and appears to work - but it doesn't!!

The index.html file size is not the same as the local one and when i view the page in Internet Explorer, the tags are all different (ie the old tags)

What's weird is that when I use the edit/view option in filezilla the index.html file looks fine - AND indeed the remote site updates the time the index.html file was last updated.

WTF??

boco
Contributor

#14 Post by boco » 2011-03-09 15:59

The index.html file size is not the same as the local one
That's normal, as it is an ASCII file. See Data Type.
when i view the page in Internet Explorer, the tags are all different (ie the old tags)
Did you try clearing your browser cache? You may get served an old page from the cache.

Tanner

#15 Post by Tanner » 2012-10-16 16:56

Has anyone figured out what is causing this bug? I felt like pulling my hair out trying to figure out why the same javascript and html files on my local machine were not rendering the same when on the server. When I drag them into a folder in the GUI, it tells me they copied, so I believed it. I spent the better part of a day trying everything I could think of to get a javascript slider working on the server, that was working perfectly fine on my local machine. I eventually gave up on it, deciding that there was something wrong with the javascript, even though it didn't make sense. I never thought to worry about FileZilla lying to me. Anyone have an idea what causes this? The only thing I've done out of the ordinary lately is that I keep putting my computer to sleep with all of my development applications open, including FileZilla, rather than shutting it down or just letting it sit with a screensaver.

Thanks