Compile error

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Bill Franklin
500 Command not understood

Compile error

#1 Post by Bill Franklin » 2004-04-30 20:34

Hello!

I'm trying to compile using C++ 6, everything is up to date, HTML workshop etc.

I'm getting:

--------------------Configuration: FZS Interface - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
WheatyExceptionReport.cpp
C:\Program Files\FileZilla Server\source\Interface\misc\WheatyExceptionReport.cpp(8) : fatal error C1853: 'Debug/FileZilla Server Interface.pch' is not a precompiled header file created with this compiler
Error executing cl.exe.

FileZilla Server Interface.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

I'd like to add a synchronization feature, so when I ftp a file it get's copied over to my back-up server.

Which module/class/function should I look into modifying (I'm new to C++) that will alow me to synch all transactions?

Thank you!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#2 Post by botg » 2004-04-30 23:39

Just delete the file the compiler complains about.

Bill Franklin
500 Command not understood

#3 Post by Bill Franklin » 2004-05-02 07:08

Boy do I feel like a naive fool :D

After mulling around the different classes and functions, I realize now what a monster project FileZilla is.

Have I been shell shocked (first time seeing real code), or would it be all that difficult to add this sort of capability? I've been writing in ASP/PHP/VB for a few years, and I must admit that C++ looks very arcane and esoteric to say the least.

Hats off to the FileZilla crew.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2004-05-03 09:03

Well, compared to other projects, FileZilla is small. It's all relative.

Adding a synchronization feature the way you want it would be difficult, maybe the easiest (though not a very clean way) would be to modify CQueueCtrl to add a secondary queue item if a new upload is scheduled or to add a new item to upload the file to the backup server after a transfer completes.

Unfortunately CCqueueCtrl is not a very clean class. It's been rewritten twice, but still has some flaws. Be careful if modifying it.
I must admit that C++ looks very arcane and esoteric to say the least.
I've been using over eight different languages in the past. I did start with Basic (learned about it while trying to add insane wind to the old Gorilla dos game) and did some interesting stuff with it. My second language was C/C++ and I quickly learned to love it. No other language did come close to its beauty yet.
On the first look C/C++ may look very complex, especially if viewing a large project. The best thing to learn a new language is to work with the language. Get a book, read it and then write a small application which does something useful. While not C/C++, a friend of mine learned Java by writing some ID3 tag tools for his MP3 collection or so iirc.
To become good in any language, you need a lot of practice.