Feature Request: Automatic Handling of Throttled Bandwidth

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

joshuao3
500 Command not understood
First name: Joshua
Last name: Olson

Feature Request: Automatic Handling of Throttled Bandwidth

#1 Post by joshuao3 » 2011-01-19 05:07

I have Comcast in the US and they provide me with a 2mbit upstream pipe that is burstable to about 8 mbit. The burst lasts roughly 8 seconds or so before the bandwidth is reduced and eventually throttled down to 2mbit. I say all this to mention that if I manually halt and restart the queue many times, my files get to the server much quicker. I would like to see the client intelligently detect the throttling and pause/restart the uploads automatically to maximize the transfer speed.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Josh

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Feature Request: Automatic Handling of Throttled Bandwid

#2 Post by botg » 2011-01-19 07:21

Comcast is violating net neutrality which sadly isn't enforced. Write to your congressman and tell him about net neutrality and how it would help the internet.

joshuao3
500 Command not understood
First name: Joshua
Last name: Olson

#3 Post by joshuao3 » 2011-01-24 03:45

Though I share your sentiment, that is not a particularly helpful or enlightening response.

Regardless of Comcasts failings, burstable bandwidth is a very real thing for a lot of ISPs. If there is a way to maximize overall throughput but evaluating and taking advantage of the burstable rate automatically, I believe this would be an incredible feature. Would the developers be willing to consider this as a legitimate feature request?

Thanks for making such a great FTP client!

Josh

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2011-01-24 07:19

As the throttling is done by your ISP, FileZilla has no influence over it. As such there's nothing I can do about it, outside my sphere of influence.