530 Valid hostname is expected.

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

jerelo
500 Syntax error
First name: Jeff
Last name: Leese

#1 Post by jerelo » 2011-10-16 22:31

Hi, I'm hoping to correspond with someone who might be familiar with the filezilla client connecting to IIS ftp. According to the screenshot, I get the error "530 Valid hostname is expected.".

Any ideas on where to look to create the configuration that the client is expecting and not finding?

In IIS, I have a ftp site with the binding "ftp.example.com", using a certificate.
Since the client finds this site, (when offsite) it seems to have and respond to the binding (hostname). So why is it getting this problem, so late in the connection process....

thanks for help in getting this configured correctly...
Attachments
host name needed.PNG
host name needed.PNG (12.99 KiB) Viewed 58667 times

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: 530 Valid hostname is expected.

#2 Post by botg » 2011-10-17 05:58

Broken server, FTP does not have a concept of hostnames.

jerelo
500 Syntax error

#3 Post by jerelo » 2011-10-17 18:16

botg wrote:Broken server, FTP does not have a concept of hostnames.
If it doesn't have the concept of hostname, then it doesn't make sense that it would reference a hostname error, as though it was expecting something and it wasn't received.

We can agree that something is broken. The server however, seems to be working normally. Perhaps it's in the ftp configuration that something is misconfigured.

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2011-10-17 18:23

Please contact the server administrator and inquire that command the server expects and the RFC that specifies that command.

jerelo
500 Syntax error

#5 Post by jerelo » 2011-10-17 20:02

Ok, I'm the administrator, and you've suggested that I can ask myself,
1) the command the server expects
and 2) the RFC (Request for Comments).

The command, according to the log is USER.
Ok, great, that's progress, you've helped me identify the step based on the command.
So, when USER is invoked I should expect a series of actions, and maybe I could identify these by consulting a document that is used to describe standards for the ftp protocol.

Have I understood correctly? It's sounding like I should need to focus on the server's response to the USER command. I'll review logs eventually, and see what it turns up. Thanks.

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2011-10-18 02:52

Normally, after the USER command is sent, the server should request the account's password to complete the login process. But it looks like you have IIS 7 with that FTP Hosts headers? Then you should read that topic: http://forum.filezilla-project.org/view ... =2&t=22032.

The FTP hosts headers mechanism is not valid FTP and thus not supported by FileZilla. So you'd need to disable this on the server.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

jerelo
500 Syntax error

#7 Post by jerelo » 2011-10-18 18:20

Thanks Boco,
I'd be happy to turn host headers off, but after looking through the iis ftp settings, it isn't clear how I could do this. (I also looked at the link you gave, but it just confirms that host headers isn't supported).

Would you mind giving some guidance on where (within the iis 7.5 ftp site settings) I would turn off the host headers?

Also, since I'm new to this, are there any general comments you could share about the consequences of turning this off? Will I have to adjust anything else, after turning this off? In my case its a very basic function I need: 2 users need to ftp in using one site.

thanks, and I think this direction will likely help many other users.

jerelo
500 Syntax error

#8 Post by jerelo » 2011-10-18 18:56

I tried removing the hostname (under bindings for the ftp site), and this did allow it to pass by the USER command. So now filezilla can supply the password, but it runs into a problem when it tries to access the user's home directory.

530 User cannot log in, home directory inaccessible.

I tried the various settings in IIS under "ftp user isolation" but all generate the same error. I set a virtual directory for the ftp site (giving it my user credentials to access the directory I want).

Can anyone give me some settings that are known to work? or explain what is the issue here. I never know if the problem is with the server configuration or a limitation in filezilla, so guidance for a working set of configuration settings would be very helpful. Thanks!

botg
Site Admin

#9 Post by botg » 2011-10-19 06:14

Please contact Microsoft to get support for IIS.

Seht
500 Command not understood

#10 Post by Seht » 2011-11-22 17:37

I'm a month too late to the party, but I just had the same problem and have a resolution for you.

First problem:

IIS is a royal pain in the ass.

When you apply a binding to the FTP site you must also specify it in the ftp client when you login. So if your binding was configured as ftp.carsgozoom.com then your login should be ftp.carsgozoom.com|administrator.

Second problem:

530 User cannot log in, home directory inaccessible.

IIS is still a pain in the ass.

You're logged in but it doesn't know where to go. Well, it does know where to go but the directory doesn't exist. In your FTP root create a directory called LocalUser and put your username in there (FTProot/LocalUser/Administrator).

I hope this helps someone.

mvezoli@adinet.com.uy
First name: Martín
Last name: V

#11 Post by mvezoli@adinet.com.uy » 2018-11-12 20:18

Also for 530 User cannot log in, home directory inaccessible there's another way of solving it.

In IIS Manager go to ftp site then ftp Authorization Rules and create an allow rule specifying the user (eg. Administrator) and check read & Write permissions.

boco
Contributor

#12 Post by boco » 2018-11-12 23:31

Thank you, but you DID realize that you posted into a seven years old topic?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

IoTChris
First name: Chris
Last name: Schaller

#13 Post by IoTChris » 2019-02-27 00:12

Seht wrote:
2011-11-22 17:37

When you apply a binding to the FTP site you must also specify it in the ftp client when you login. So if your binding was configured as ftp.carsgozoom.com then your login should be ftp.carsgozoom.com|administrator.
You my friend were a legend back in 2011 with your response and are still rocking it in 2019! Yes this is an old post, but the information is still relevant in Windows Server 2016.

I have 22 sites (and counting) running in my small IIS farm, everything MUST run on host headers, I just simply cannot manage that many individual port routes.

I'm using FTP for deployment of sites mainly.
The trick, as mentioned, is that the domain used as the user domain MUST match the hostheader, DO NOT use the AD Domain name for your user, instead use the format {hostheader}|{username} and to set the default domain on the basic authentication configuration for the FTP site.