Directory to Directory Transfer?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Amandaville
504 Command not implemented

Directory to Directory Transfer?

#1 Post by Amandaville » 2012-03-28 11:43

One of my hosting providers forced me into a server change yesterday without warning. They moved all of my files to the new server, but in a separate subdirectory. Now I need to move those files and folders to there proper location but there is over 200GB of data and it isn't practical to download everything and then upload it again on my DSL connection. Is there any way to move them directly with FileZilla? Just to be clear, the files are on one server and just need to be moved. This isn't a server to server issue. Thanks!

boco
Contributor

Re: Directory to Directory Transfer?

#2 Post by boco » 2012-03-28 12:01

Files and directories can be moved on the same server using Drag&Drop, provided you have the necessary permissions.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

donstone
500 Command not understood
First name: don
Last name: stone

#3 Post by donstone » 2012-03-28 12:53

A computer guy erased my files from Filezilla.
I can retrieve them from Filezilla but the username and password were lost.
How do I retrieve them or reset them?

Amandaville

#4 Post by Amandaville » 2012-03-28 15:02

How do I get the left panel to show the other remote folder that I want to drag & drop into? It currently only shows the "local site".
boco wrote:Files and directories can be moved on the same server using Drag&Drop, provided you have the necessary permissions.

whymylifesucks123
500 Command not understood
First name: life sucks
Last name: hate my life

#5 Post by whymylifesucks123 » 2012-03-28 15:22

i think he means tranferring data from one server to another. like transferring from byethost to awardspace. i would suggest you use net2ftp. google for it. net2ftp is a web based ftp manager and it will download your 200gb to their OWN server and THEN transfer it to the OTHER server.
Does your life sucks? Tell the whole world why your life sucks.

<Sorry, third-party links in signatures not allowed.>

Amandaville

#6 Post by Amandaville » 2012-03-28 16:03

Nope, that would require File Exchange Protocol (FXP). All of the files are on the same server and just need to be redistributed to their proper location. The hosting company just moved everything to a single sub-directory and left it up to me to move things around. I just need to figure out how to display two windows of the same server so I can drag and drop.
whymylifesucks123 wrote:i think he means tranferring data from one server to another. like transferring from byethost to awardspace. i would suggest you use net2ftp. google for it. net2ftp is a web based ftp manager and it will download your 200gb to their OWN server and THEN transfer it to the OTHER server.

boco
Contributor

#7 Post by boco » 2012-03-28 19:40

Nope, that would require File Exchange Protocol (FXP).
Wrong, such a protocol does not exist. FXP is only a buzzword for server-to-server transfers. This type of transfers use the good ol' FTP protocol, there's no magic involved.

Showing two remote directories side-by-side is not possible in FileZilla. You must drag within the one you have. You can, however, drag from the remote file panel to the remote directory tree, if it's enabled.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org