Too many authentication failures for server when using pass

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

iansane
500 Syntax error

Too many authentication failures for server when using pass

#1 Post by iansane » 2012-06-05 13:32

Hi,

I'm getting the error msg "Too many authentication failures for servername" which I have read is caused by filezilla reading and trying my ssh keys. But I am using a username/password login for this connection. I don't want filezilla trying to use ssh keys when I'm using a username/password for login.

I have set up ssh for terminal ssh to specific servers but for my shared hosting servers I need to continue to use filezilla with a login as I've always done.

So my question is, how to I stop filezilla from trying to use ssh keys? I've seen reference to SSH_AUTH_SOCK="" but have no idea where to set that permanently and if I do set that permanently won't it stop my terminal ssh connections from working?

Thank you

iansane
500 Syntax error

Re: Too many authentication failures for server when using p

#2 Post by iansane » 2012-06-05 14:19

I figured out how to change SSH_AUTH_SOCK in my filezilla shortcut on Ubuntu.

Code: Select all

env SSH_AUTH_SOCK="" /opt/FileZilla3/bin/filezilla
The good thing is, this is only setting the env variable for this session so I can simultaneously use terminal to open a ssh connection to another server using my ssh keys.

But when setting up ssh keys on my windows client I will have to figure out how to do the same thing with windows shortcuts.

I think the proper fix would be for filezilla to ignore ssh keys if I enter a username and password. With the fix above, if I add a server in the future for which I actually do use the ssh keys in filezilla I will have to go and make two different shortcut icons "filezillaKeyAuth" and "filezillaPWAuth" or something like that.

iansane
500 Syntax error

#3 Post by iansane » 2012-06-08 20:17

Any news on fixing this issue in filezilla? I've seen a few bug reports and forum posts referring to the same issue but didn't see any resolution besides the work around I used.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2012-06-09 22:08

No solution yet.