Disable popup on file change. V 3.7.3

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

stuffdone
500 Command not understood
First name: Web
Last name: Master

Disable popup on file change. V 3.7.3

#1 Post by stuffdone » 2013-10-23 15:56

I have used FileZilla for a number of years and really like it EXCEPT !

I want to disable the popup I get every time a file changes. How can I do that. :?

I find it very annoying because I always automatically click the file I am working on to upload and this popup ads another step demanding I click OK a second time to get rid of that box. It slows me down.

I don't need a popup to tell me a file has changed.

I know that because I just changed it, who else? :D .

Thanks.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Disable popup on file change. V 3.7.3

#2 Post by botg » 2013-10-24 17:34

Can't be disabled as there's no way to programatically detect when it is safe to upload the file.

stuffdone

#3 Post by stuffdone » 2013-10-24 17:43

Can you guys include an option to disable this in the next release? Other FTP's don't have it so I assume it is not technically necessary to have a popup tell me a second time to upload a file I already uploaded. At least have it not pop up if I just uploaded that file.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2013-10-24 19:45

It will only upload the changed file after you confirm the prompt.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

stuffdone

#5 Post by stuffdone » 2013-10-24 20:09

boco wrote:It will only upload the changed file after you confirm the prompt.
Not true. As soon as I double click the file on the local drive it uploads. I have normally done that as soon as I edit then the popup appears and I have to click that to get rid of it even though the file was already uploaded via my double click.

The popup actually lags behind my manually clicking to upload and results in having to click twice.

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2013-10-24 22:05

As soon as FileZilla detects a file change it prompts you. If that prompt is delayed that means something on your system delays or denies access to the file. By uploading as soon as you can you might be putting the data at risk, there is the chance you are uploading a truncated file.

stuffdone

#7 Post by stuffdone » 2013-10-25 13:25

boco wrote:As soon as FileZilla detects a file change it prompts you. If that prompt is delayed that means something on your system delays or denies access to the file. By uploading as soon as you can you might be putting the data at risk, there is the chance you are uploading a truncated file.
Been using this on hundreds of web sites for many years on a number of computers....never a problem ! Perhaps FileZilla is better than you think :lol:

boco
Contributor

#8 Post by boco » 2013-10-25 19:22

You were lucky. The developer's stance, however, is not to take any changes, even if failure rate would be slim. In other words: Either it works or it doesn't, working most of the time is not sufficient.

BobbyNZS
First name: Bobby
Last name: Smithson

#9 Post by BobbyNZS » 2014-02-04 11:19

Hello. I'm using UBUNTU - Filezilla version 3.5.3

this is an ongoing problem - I've seen threads since as far back as 2009 about this. Very annoying popup.

1) I download a file from my FTP server to my local drive. - POPUP appears telling me my local file has changed (I just downloaded it).

2) i want to type 10 rows of text into my local file. PHP script. i know in advance i have 10 lines & what i want to type.

I start typing, & half way through my 1st line of text, it pops up. - i complete the 1st line, & start my second line. & another popup messagew telling me my local file has changed.

(i SAVE my local file frequently - sometimes it auto-saves - dependong on which programme i use)

by the time i've finished what i want to type, & *I* decide i want to upload it, ive received multiple popups.

Can we have an official word from head office the reason for these popups ?

3) I download a TEMPLATE file into my local drive, & then change the remote FTP path to my main PHP files.
I download a main PHP script, & then work on BOTH files.

I update the php script to send data / information to my template, & then update my template to receive the information. (saying NO to these popups)..

FZ then tries to upload my template file into my PHP directory (the one i changed to...)

FZ is great - in all other aspects of what i use it for. (I may consider changing to another FTP programme)

QUESTION 1: Can a FZ developer honestly say that the popup is beneficial to programming ?

QUESTION 2: Why does FZ give a popup message saying a local file has changed - when i just downloaded it ? Is there any benefit to that ?

Question 3: if we WANT corrupt files (as on other threads of this nature), isn't that our choice to make ? - most of the time i do know what i'm doing & when FZ uploads half typed files, it causes corruptness (is that a word)

BobbyNZS
First name: Bobby
Last name: Smithson

#10 Post by BobbyNZS » 2014-02-04 11:29

A few more thoughts
botg wrote:Can't be disabled as there's no way to programatically detect when it is safe to upload the file.
Does this make sense ?

it may be hard to DO something (detect if a file has changed.) but - hard to NOT to do something ?

i think it will be easy to NOT detect a file change and NOT produce a popup ? Easy right ?

And who determines "SAFE" ? I think its left to human hands to know when its safe to upload a file ?

if i'm producxing code & FZ uploads automatically, my half-saved file may cause UNSAFE activity on the website if someone runs/activates the script beforte i have a chance to fix it.

it is certainly "safer" to leave it up to the developer to know when a file is safe to upload.