Multiple Threads

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Merc
500 Command not understood

Multiple Threads

#1 Post by Merc » 2006-12-26 09:38

Hi

Can someone explain to me why HTTP servers and Usenet can do multiple threads and stich the file on completion yet there is no FTP client that does this yet ?

Thanks
Merc

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#2 Post by botg » 2006-12-26 11:23

While you might benefit personally, it hurts the overall bandwidth for everyone due to the extra overhead. So I won't implement this feature.

I912900K
500 Command not understood
First name: Rohan
Last name: Voigt

Re: Multiple Threads

#3 Post by I912900K » 2024-01-29 00:45

This is an old topic, not sure if there has been an update

Whilst I agree with your botg for public FTP servers, for private ones like hosting companies/seedboxes they have oooodles of bandwidth and offer 1Gbps upload and download for all their customers. Can't you just create a list of updated 'public' FTP servers which would be excluded from being abused. Lots of hosted private FTP servers encourage multiple connections and reccomend Filezilla.

I have tried CuteFTP and I have been able to get consistent download speeds of 600-950mbps because multipart for single file downloads is part of its functionality, has been for quite some time. Downside, the UI of CuteFTP isn't quite what I'm used to. Could you add this as a 'Pro' only feature? This might deter the 'abusers'.

I think the general community wants this feature (single file multi-part, for maximising speed on a single file).

For me its files on a hosted FTPES/SSH connection.

Now I have 1000/50, through Usenet I can get up to about 600mbps with a VPN active. Filezilla never ever goes over 150mbps. If I download over HTTPS (same file, same location) I can get up to 900mbps. So why don't I do that? I can't queue files up like that, Chrome just starts them all at the same time so FTPES is the best way.