So Which Neckbeard Did It?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

CCarter
503 Bad sequence of commands

So Which Neckbeard Did It?

#1 Post by CCarter » 2014-07-24 22:40

So I went to update all my FTP passwords after upgrading to the latest version of Filezilla, and a funny thing happened. Apparently some neckbeard thought it was cute to disable paste into the password field. Not sure how that exactly is more secure, can someone explain this to me? I generate base64 passwords, usually 40+ characters for my stuff. Now I got to individually input EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER into the password field for EVERY SINGLE account? How does making more freaking work for an individual help make things more secure?

Oh and I tripled checked. You can paste into the account name, you can paste into the comment, but you can't select all, delete, or paste into the password field, so it's clearly done intentionally. Too bad the neckbeard failed at basic usability - it's always some clown that does one small thing that ends up screwing up what once was a great project.

For anyone that's having this password issue when updating to the latest Filezilla (3.9.0.1) on MAC OS X, you can simply copy your long secure password then use the mouse to paste the content into the field. Way to go neckbeard, looks like you overlooked that part. I guess you plan on completely screwing up this project when you figure out how to disable pasting of passwords with the mouse.

Please god, someone please re-enable the ability to paste passwords via keywords, this is just ridiculous. And NO I'm not going to go into the code and re-compile every single filezilla when it's time to update just for that one password. If making something secure means making it less useable for users - well I guess you win. No point in even using filezilla I'll just telepathically send files to my server.

- CCarter
"And every time when I hear somebody criticizing me, I will be glad and say, 'My idea is on the road'." -Li Zongwu

Matt3k
500 Command not understood

Re: So Which Neckbeard Did It?

#2 Post by Matt3k » 2014-07-25 03:34

It is working fine for me on windows, and I can confirm it is not working on mac. You can edit your settings file by hand and paste in the passwords, I believe, as a temporary workaround.

I also paste in complex passwords that are too onerous for humans so I would second this as a defect. If this was an intentional change, it may not have been fully considered. I am not 100% certain, but it seems that the connection manager was revamped in a recent update and there may still be a few quirks to iron out.

I don't think the hostility is warranted or helpful.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2014-07-25 07:33

Please god, someone please re-enable the ability to paste passwords via keywords, this is just ridiculous.
First you insult me, then you call forth my divine powers? Ah well, so be it, I'm an all-loving and forgiving entity ;)

I'll have a look at this strange bug.

What still works is selecting paste from the right-click menu.

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2014-07-25 14:04

A fix for this has been committed to the repository and will be available in the next version. In the meantime, use the context menu.

nori
500 Command not understood
First name: Jorge
Last name: Noricumbo

#5 Post by nori » 2014-07-25 16:36

thank you! :)

CCarter

#6 Post by CCarter » 2014-07-25 17:20

botg wrote:
Please god, someone please re-enable the ability to paste passwords via keywords, this is just ridiculous.
First you insult me, then you call forth my divine powers? Ah well, so be it, I'm an all-loving and forgiving entity ;)

I'll have a look at this strange bug.

What still works is selecting paste from the right-click menu.
You have to understand FTP is the last link between order and chaos. The internet's very backbone and fiber of existence relies on FTP - ftp existed before http, and will exist long after. Remember when copy and paste was introduced. It revolutionized the computer age - you were now able to take text from one area then place it in another field. That was the real reason the typewriter is no longer needed.

We live in an age of the most technological advancements digitally and physically. What separates technology from mass adoption is always usability. Making things function easier and better. Copy and Paste is the crux of our society. It's the glue that holds the internet together and what holds our emotions from going into rampage mode when we simply want to use a computer to make our lives easier.

HTTP has been crippled by these guidelines that are going backwards with self-righteous rhetoric of 'security'. When 'save this password' was introduced to the web browser, that literally started the boom of the internet. Look at the time frame carefully. Then some neckbeards thought it was a good idea to force people to enter their passwords manually using the rhetoric of 'security'. How is me re-entering the same password over and over more secure? If there is a keyword logger on my computer I'm screwed. Not the case with a saved password. Those security neckbeards forgot one thing, if someone already has access to my computer, I'm already compromised. So a saved password is the least of my problems at that point. I can't make waves in the HTTP world like I want to, but at least when I go to make edits to my website good old FTP won't fail me... Well that was until yesterday.

There is a line that should not be crossed - If I as a user even know what FTP is I'm probably a little smarter then the rest? If I as a user use FTP more than HTTP, I might know a thing or two. Sure not ALL FTP users are smart, someone is eventually going to screw it up here and there, but that's human nature. But generally an FTP user is an advanced computer user. They live and breathe on the keyboard - We are keyboard warriors - FTP is not a game. FTP is the final line of defense between order and chaos on the internet. I need copy and paste for my FTP otherwise that will force me to use less secure passwords which I have to write out, meaning shorter and a less secure internet.

Let the security neckbeards continue screwing up the HTTP experience, let US, the ones that know the true line of defense be allowed to secure the internet quickly and fast, without being bottlenecked like we are some soccer mom with 3 kids trying to login to her bank account to see if she has enough money for junior's bake sale or will she need to start walking the streets once again. A world without copy and paste is not a world I want to live in...

So please FTP Gods, I beg of you, in the name of all that is right and moral, for the order and the fending off of chaos - I, CCarter - of Wickedfire, an Ancient from the time before Myspace, before Google, during the Altavista era, hailing from the birth place of the internet - I ask you in the name of all that is right and moral let me have my Copy and Paste... or let me have my death.

- CCarter, Lord of Wickedfire, First And Only In My Name

P.S. LOL, I gotta get you mofos's attention with theatrics.

P.P.S. Thank you... you have done your service for Rome.
"And every time when I hear somebody criticizing me, I will be glad and say, 'My idea is on the road'." -Li Zongwu

botg
Site Admin

#7 Post by botg » 2014-07-25 19:37

I ask you in the name of all that is right and moral let me have my Copy and Paste... or let me have my death.
The latter can be arranged for our amusement.

CCarter

#8 Post by CCarter » 2014-07-25 22:01

botg wrote:
I ask you in the name of all that is right and moral let me have my Copy and Paste... or let me have my death.
The latter can be arranged for our amusement.
A great many have tried, none have made it back home. :D

CCarter

#9 Post by CCarter » 2014-08-03 03:40

botg
Site Admin

#10 Post by botg » 2014-08-03 08:22

Just a small bugfix release, nothing to endanger your countenance for.

CCarter

#11 Post by CCarter » 2014-08-03 16:21

botg wrote:Just a small bugfix release, nothing to endanger your countenance for.
LOL, admit it, I'm growing on you?

But really, thank you for the bug fix, you are doing great work! I Love Filezilla! So therefore I love you. ;)