Filezilla.xml~ Couldn't Be Removed

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

gazzari
500 Command not understood
First name: Garry
Last name: Cross

Re: Filezilla.xml~ Couldn't Be Removed

#76 Post by gazzari » 2014-11-21 12:02

Is there anything I can run/use to log this error? Let me know. I use Filezilla regularly and it will throw an error sometimes up to half a dozen times in an hour. Easily reproducible for me. Just to clear up, I am running the portable version. But not off a usb stick. The zip version would be the portable version or has it been changed by external people to be portable?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#77 Post by botg » 2014-11-22 00:13

Guessing the winning lottery numbers is incredibly difficult. Knowing the winning lottery numbers on the other hand make collecting the jackpot trivially easy.

Step-by-step instructions to reproduce the issue starting from a fresh vanilla[*] Windows installation would be of tremendous help.

Once the issue is reproduced, it's probably just a matter of a few minutes to either fix it or to assign definitive blame, depending on the cause.

[*] As in installation via a .iso from Microsoft itself, none of that recovery stuff computer vendors create.

MisterNeutron
504 Command not implemented

#78 Post by MisterNeutron » 2014-12-12 21:46

gazzari wrote:Hate to burst someones bubble. I set it to Windows 7 compatibility yesterday. No errors then. But on first start today, immediately got that same old error box. I checked icon today, still set to Windows 7 compatibility.
Yeah, it's back for me, as well.

heayeA
First name: heaye sung
Last name: KIM

#79 Post by heayeA » 2014-12-14 09:45

i have same ploblem.

My FileZilla is 3.9.0.6
and.
my computer is
intel Q8200 cpu,
32bit window7
P45 mainboard.

heayeA

#80 Post by heayeA » 2014-12-20 13:10

sorry. i delete my pre-post.

i recommand these.
1. in site-manger, re-write port-number (21). maby filezilla can't memory this '21'
2. check 'remote-directory' ... in my case ( /Public )
3. .... Quick-connect button is good. but site-manger button is.. maby bad.

i don't know WHY.

sorry. my bad english skill

TimmyDean
Last name: Dean

#81 Post by TimmyDean » 2014-12-24 18:41

I can reproduce this on a regular bases. At least for me.
It is Carbonite that is reading the file and preventing the issue for me. It appears that when you exit FileZilla, it makes a ~ file which is new on the OS. Carbonite sees this and tries to read and back it up. This locks the file and keeps FZ from doing its thing. By the time you get to the folder to look at it, Carbonite has released it (hence chasing a ghost).

What is weird, is I have not told Carbonite to backup that folder. However, if I turn off Carbonite it stops. I did have the users folder backedup up at one time, but removed it from Carbonite. I therefore, uninstalled Carbonite, rebooted and the problem never ever occurred again. After a week, I reinstalled Carbonite and back came the error. I therefore, remove Carbonite once more and manually configured folders to be backed up making dang sure not to include the roaming folder. Problem still has not appeared, and seems to be solved.

So, for me it is Carbonite causing the issue. If you are using another online backup tool, then I would suggest checking those. I have had this issue with Carbonite with other applications as well. It seems to occur when Carbonite sees a new file, and then wants to back it up. If you change the file again, Carbonite holds off backing it up to probably save bandwidth which now really fobars things. It seems to queue it for backup which keeps it locked. This really shows up if you are using Visual Studio or Eclipse which builds applications creating all kinds of temp files and then removes them etc. making a mess.

So for me, it is Carbonite and I traced it to that.

jcliftonmeek
First name: jerry
Last name: meek

#82 Post by jcliftonmeek » 2015-01-07 20:26

This has been a frustrating process to deal with, but one has to remember that the product is opensource/freeware . . . and THE BEST. I individually killed all programs/processes that were running until I hit the one that allowed Filezilla to NOT make the error. On my machine (i7, win7-64), the offending program turned out to be Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). I used the advanced setting to exclude the entire "roaming\filezilla" path under my "user".

Just for confirmation, the other programs running that turning off did not affect the issue were: MS OneDrive (SkyDrive), Google Drive, and LogMeIn.

Hope this helps someone else.

—jcm

botg
Site Admin

#83 Post by botg » 2015-01-07 22:40

Peculiar. I'm using MSE as well without having this issue. Do you realtime protection enabled, participate in MAPS or do you have automatic sample submission enabled in MSE?

jcliftonmeek

#84 Post by jcliftonmeek » 2015-01-07 23:22

I do use realtime protection, I typically participate in MAPS and such supportive options, and I do have sample submission active. I'm thinking the problem is a nuanced one based on a "final straw." And with all of the programs running and actively involved with files on one's drive, it could easily be a combination of functionality available oin many different programs.

From my programming experience, I'm thinking it could be best to simply not open the file when the program opens and leave it open till the program terminates, but rather open the files, write the content immediately, and close the files in "one step" leaving no time for an "watcher" program to get its hooks into the temporary file. Or, you might also use the standard windows temp directory which is usually not watched by other programs. At least, that's been my approach with such functions. YMMV.

botg
Site Admin

#85 Post by botg » 2015-01-08 09:18

open the files, write the content immediately, and close the files in "one step" leaving no time for an "watcher" program to get its hooks into the temporary file
Sadly not atomic. There's always the possibility of another program interfering with the data.
You might also use the standard windows temp directory which is usually not watched by other programs.
Can't. Doesn't work with roaming profiles: FileZilla being started on one machine, tries to save settings: It creates a copy of the old file, then writes the new file, but gets interrupted in writing the new file. If FileZilla is then started on another machine it only finds the corrupted file, but not the temp file as it doesn't exist on that machine.

Also, in case of failures and in the recovery case, FileZilla uses atomic renames. Renames across filesystem boundaries aren't atomic. The settings file and the backup need to be on the same filesystem. Essentially this means they need to be in the same directory.

jcliftonmeek

#86 Post by jcliftonmeek » 2015-01-08 16:14

Obviously, resolving this is non-trivial, but given what you've built, I'm sure you'll find a way.

My system continues to work without the "error" returning, so hopefully, it might give serve as a catalyst in tracking it down. If I can help in any way, I'd be happy to.

heayeA

#87 Post by heayeA » 2015-01-17 12:09

I think
Filezilla ver 3.10.0.2 is stable.

jcliftonmeek

#88 Post by jcliftonmeek » 2015-01-17 18:23

Hey! 3.10.0.2 seems to work without the xml~ error. Removed the excluded directory from MSE, and Filezilla doesn't error.

Great work! Thank you!

greenbergman
First name: David
Last name: Bergman

#89 Post by greenbergman » 2015-04-15 16:22

Just catching up on this. I've been experiencing the error for a while and it has not gone away even with the current version, 3.10.3.
I do use Crashplan. But the thread is not definitive on that being the problem. So I'm not sure what to do to eliminate the issue.
Fortunately it doesn't seem to impede the functioning of Filezilla, so I haven't been worrying about it that much. Still, it would be nice to have the error message solved.