Filezilla.xml~ Couldn't Be Removed

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

csilver
504 Command not implemented
First name: Craig
Last name: Silver

Re: Filezilla.xml~ Couldn't Be Removed

#31 Post by csilver » 2014-08-26 01:22

Anything on this yet? My CrashPlan is no longer monitoring the FileZilla folder at all and I still get the error message. (I realize that there's one camp that has concluded that CrashPlan cannot be at fault but the developer still thinks it must be, I believe.)

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#32 Post by botg » 2014-08-26 09:24

What happens if you for a test uninstall CrashPlan?

MisterNeutron

#33 Post by MisterNeutron » 2014-08-26 22:49

csilver wrote:Anything on this yet? My CrashPlan is no longer monitoring the FileZilla folder at all and I still get the error message. (I realize that there's one camp that has concluded that CrashPlan cannot be at fault but the developer still thinks it must be, I believe.)
This matches my experience with Carbonite. Carbonite is now not monitoring that folder at all for its backups (neither the folder nor any of the files in it), but the error message persists. If I actually shut down Carbonite entirely, the error seems to vanish.

But I've been using Carbonite and FileZilla for years, without problems. Only the latest FileZilla update has triggered the error.

hedera
500 Syntax error
First name: Karen
Last name: Ivy

#34 Post by hedera » 2014-08-27 02:48

hedera wrote:csilver, thanks for the DropBox link, but in fact excluding the FileZilla directory from the CrashPlan backup did eliminate the popup. I even have a test case - I excluded the directory on my laptop but not on my desktop, and the desktop still gets the popup window but the laptop doesn't. I agree, no good reason why this should turn up after all these months. But that's development.
That was then. Today I installed FileZilla client 3.9.0.3 and the error message is back even though the FileZilla directory is still excluded from the CrashPlan backup list. Can someone please fix this? It's pretty annoying.
hedera
============
Nature bats last.

botg
Site Admin

#35 Post by botg » 2014-08-27 07:55

You need to contact your backup solution vendor for assistance, it's doing something weird it isn't supposed to do.

MisterNeutron

#36 Post by MisterNeutron » 2014-08-27 14:06

botg wrote:You need to contact your backup solution vendor for assistance, it's doing something weird it isn't supposed to do.
Two completely independent backup software packages cause no errors with FileZilla 3.8, but both produce errors with FileZilla 3.9. Diagnosis: FileZilla 3.9 is doing something different, and it's conflicting with various other applications.

Blaming this on CrashPlan and Carbonite looks and sounds like classic finger-pointing.

guaycuru
500 Command not understood

#37 Post by guaycuru » 2014-08-27 14:15

MisterNeutron wrote:
botg wrote:You need to contact your backup solution vendor for assistance, it's doing something weird it isn't supposed to do.
Two completely independent backup software packages cause no errors with FileZilla 3.8, but both produce errors with FileZilla 3.9. Diagnosis: FileZilla 3.9 is doing something different, and it's conflicting with various other applications.

Blaming this on CrashPlan and Carbonite looks and sounds like classic finger-pointing.
Couldn't agree more!

hedera
500 Syntax error

#38 Post by hedera » 2014-08-27 17:39

MisterNeutron wrote:

No, I do not need to contact CrashPlan. FileZilla worked perfectly with CrashPlan, with the FileZilla directory being backed up, until you released FileZilla 3.9.x; and as you can see, I'm not the only person who has seen this. Something changed with 3.9 and you need to fix it.
hedera
============
Nature bats last.

botg
Site Admin

#39 Post by botg » 2014-08-27 18:48

Most likely previous versions of FileZilla did not complain about this issue because they simply forgot to do so. The underlying issue was always there.

flatlinebb
First name: Bart
Last name: Boryczko

#40 Post by flatlinebb » 2014-08-27 18:51

I have to agree with all the other posters that this is a filezilla issue. I run neither Carbonite nor CrashPlan on my Win7 machine, and I get the errors as well. and if you look at the message itself, it is not actually reporting an error condition - it is just unnecessary positive confirmation. Unless I'm reading into the message wording too much.

botg
Site Admin

#41 Post by botg » 2014-08-27 18:58

I even went so far as to install the trial version of CrashPlan. The problem is not reproducible, no error messages at all with it running and backing up the FileZilla settings directory.

If I may ask: What is your filesystem for the C: drive?

flatlinebb
First name: Bart
Last name: Boryczko

#42 Post by flatlinebb » 2014-08-27 19:02

botg wrote:If I may ask: What is your filesystem for the C: drive?
NTFS.

I do use a program called Everything, that indexes the hard drive and allows me to search much faster than Windows Search. I did exclude the Filezilla config folder from the indexing, but I have been running the software for years with Filezilla and only recently started getting the message.

I'd be happy to provide any other additional info - troubleshooting computer issues is my day job.

hedera
500 Syntax error

#43 Post by hedera » 2014-08-27 20:06

botg wrote:If I may ask: What is your filesystem for the C: drive?
My C: drive is also NTFS, and I don't use the Everything program.

Like flatlinebb, I've been using FileZilla for many years; I've been using CrashPlan for a little over a year. I never saw these popup warnings from FileZilla before version 3.9. For the record, just this second I opened FileZilla, connected to a site I manage, and downloaded a file. I got the popup as I closed the program, which is an improvement; I was getting it when I opened and closed it. I don't get the popup if I just open FileZilla and then close it; it only happens when I connect to a site.

I must say I'm confused by this statement:
botg wrote:Most likely previous versions of FileZilla did not complain about this issue because they simply forgot to do so. The underlying issue was always there.
If there is no error (and a return code of 0 usually means that), there's nothing to complain about.
hedera
============
Nature bats last.

botg
Site Admin

#44 Post by botg » 2014-08-28 06:52

Strange, isn't it? A function returns failure, but the corresponding failure code says success.

Unfortunately this isn't reproducible. I've tried all the third-party programs mentioned in this topic, I don't get the error message.

MisterNeutron

#45 Post by MisterNeutron » 2014-08-28 13:21

One key question: does filezilla.xml~ actually need to be removed? When I get the failure message, that file has not, in fact, been removed - it's still sitting there in the AppData\FileZilla directory. But leaving it there doesn't seem to be causing any problems. Maybe prior versions of FileZilla just left the sucker alone.

Weak theory - this feels like a Windows permission problem. If you can't reproduce the error, it may have to do with whether you're using a "regular" Windows user account, or a user account that has admin privileges. (In my case, it's the latter, contrary to expectations.) And which "user" installed FileZilla might throw another variable into the mix. Just thinking out loud....