Default remote directory specification has an annoyance

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

fizzbowen
500 Command not understood

Default remote directory specification has an annoyance

#1 Post by fizzbowen » 2004-07-22 06:19

Hello,

I am using FileZilla 2.2.7c and attempting to navigate to a particular remote directory that is nested several layers down in the hierarchy. (I do not have control over the server by the way; I only have access rights to a small portion of it.)

I would like to make this deeply nested directory the remote default, as I use it frequently, and don't want to have to keep boring down to it from the root every time I connect.

When I specify the default remote directory name as, say, "/name/of/remote/directory" (without the quotes), it gets saved internally in the FileZilla configuration XML file (and transmitted to the server) as "/name/of/remote/directory/" (that is, a trailing slash is magically appended). Although it's usually polite to end directory names with a slash or backslash, the particular server I am dealing with absolutely does not like this, and refuses to change directories or to give me a file list if the slash is present. It really really wants the directory name to be specified without the trailing slash.

I have verified this by entering raw CWD commands with and without the trailing slash in the directory name. I only get the results I want when I omit the slash.

In the next release, could we please change this behavior so that FileZilla either doesn't add the slash, or gives me a choice as to whether it should do so?

Thank you!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#2 Post by botg » 2004-07-22 06:53

Can you please post the welcome message (if it does not include any private data) and the reply of the SYST command?

fizzbowen
500 Command not understood

#3 Post by fizzbowen » 2004-07-22 07:18

Hello BOTG, and thank you for your quick response.

Here is the welcome message, the only mods being that I've placed "xxx" in place of the actual domain name, default directory name, and my user information.

[Note to all: I am not responsible for where you end up if you click on the http://www.xxx.org links!]

===========================

Status: Connected with http://www.xxx.org. Waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 Welcome to xxx FTP service.
Command: USER xxx
Response: 331 Please specify the password.
Command: PASS **********
Response: 230 Login successful.
Command: FEAT
Response: 500 Unknown command.
Command: CWD /xxx/
Response: 550 Failed to change directory.
Error: Could not retrieve directory listing

[Note that the directory listing failed at logon, since I had the default remote directory already set up. The server software also doesn't seem to understand the FEAT command.]

Here is the response to SYST (verbatim):

Command: syst
Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8

Thank you again for your quick response.