Updated To Version 3.10.0 Now Receiving Errors

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

gregnk

Re: Updated To Version 3.10.0 Now Receiving Errors

#151 Post by gregnk » 2015-02-06 12:29

paintbetty wrote: Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (72,167,131,217,197,1)
Command: MLSD
Error: Connection timed out
Most likely a firewall is messing with the connection.

hollsten
500 Command not understood
First name: Jari
Last name: Hollsten

#152 Post by hollsten » 2015-02-09 14:55

So where can I download an older version of Filezilla so I'm able to use this program again?

boco
Contributor

#153 Post by boco » 2015-02-09 16:37

No need to download an old and unsupported version. Just change the Encryption in the Site Manager back to Plain FTP. Note that is only a short-term workaround, the server ought to be fixed.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

hollsten
First name: Jari
Last name: Hollsten

#154 Post by hollsten » 2015-02-10 08:43

Nevermind I made the switch to WinSCP but I'll look into your suggestion too sometime. I understand what you are saying and I also understand that I have no right in the world complaining about completely free software that has worked well for my needs for so many years (thank you). That said I still think your approach to this matter will hurt Filezilla badly.

jbkanas
First name: Jon
Last name: Kanas

#155 Post by jbkanas » 2015-02-18 17:42

Good Morning,

Where does one go in FileZilla to turn off the TLS permanently, or how can I revert to a previous version of FileZilla? I cannot tell where TLS is configured, and I've spent several hours over the last several days working with the system administrator to try to resolve this problem. I liked the product a lot, and this change which renders it unusable is unwelcome.

I am a volunteer webmaster for three organizations and ALL EXHIBIT THIS PROBLEM. It is very distressing when an "automatic update" renders the product unusable, with no advisory in the release notes that this is a likely issue with the updated version.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#156 Post by botg » 2015-02-18 20:11

To be precise, it's not an issue in the updated version, it's an issue with your servers.

Also, there is this entry in the version history:
FTP over TLS is now used by default if the server supports it. Use of plain FTP can be enforced for a server in the Site Manager

jbkanas
First name: Jon
Last name: Kanas

#157 Post by jbkanas » 2015-02-18 22:10

botg wrote:To be precise, it's not an issue in the updated version, it's an issue with your servers.
While you may be "technically correct" that the issue lies in the configuration and characteristics of the servers to which I am attempting to connect, you are incorrect to assume that I have any control over the configuration of those servers. I needed an effective workaround for my problem, not a lecture about the quality of the configuration of the servers to which I am connecting.

As a long-time user of the FileZilla product, and a professional Best Practice consultant for multi-million dollar healthcare software implementations, let me assure you that issuing an update to a proven product (FileZilla) which renders the default mode of the product unusable for a large number of your clients is a very bad practice. When your customer installs a new version of the application and the customer's procedures are rendered unusable, the customer faults the new version and you lose a tremendous amount of goodwill. When you persist in telling your customers it is "their fault", even more goodwill is lost.

Hugh_K
550 Permission denied
First name: Hugh
Last name: Kallen

#158 Post by Hugh_K » 2015-02-19 04:35

fischzilla wrote:I found that after the update my encryption was changed to 'FTP over TLS if available'. I changed it to 'plain FTP' and it is working now.
Worked for me too. Hello!!!!

Admin and programmers, I am sure you would not have updated to this new method by default if you knew it would show that about a billion websites use servers configured in a way that it would not work. Just roll it back.

botg
Site Admin

#159 Post by botg » 2015-02-19 09:36

If I were to roll back, these broken servers would never be fixed and terrorist organizations like the NSA would forever steal our login credentials.

rmarshal
First name: Robert
Last name: Marshall

#160 Post by rmarshal » 2015-02-21 19:10

tzrtim wrote:Same here, It worked then I got update msg, I updated and Now can't reconnect.

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is your current location
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (160,153,40,136,196,49)
Command: MLSD
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing
Yes, I'm having the same problem with bluehost.com. I worked with support for an hour to correct the login problem, but to no avail, regardless of configuration changes to FileZilla Site Manager. I've gone back to a 9.x.x version so I can get some work done.

gregnk

#161 Post by gregnk » 2015-02-22 00:22

rmarshal wrote:Yes, I'm having the same problem with bluehost.com
Try using SFTP. Bluehost supports it but you might need to enable SSH beforehand.

mosaic

#162 Post by mosaic » 2015-02-23 09:54

The new versions suck, but unfortunately, when I downgrade to an older version, even though I set update checks to "Never", every time I start the program it downloads the latest version of FileZilla without asking me and then asks me if I want to install it and upgrade.

It's all very well saying "get the broken servers fixed", but that doesn't actually fix my problem when I'm dealing with hosts that are unwilling to change things because they have tons of customers sharing servers.

I think I'm just going to find a different program to use.

botg
Site Admin

#163 Post by botg » 2015-02-23 10:21

If you don't mind the total lack of security, you can always force use of plain FTP in the Site Manager.

sava700
504 Command not implemented

#164 Post by sava700 » 2015-02-24 00:50

botg wrote:If I were to roll back, these broken servers would never be fixed and terrorist organizations like the NSA would forever steal our login credentials.
lol what? Do I or many others here really care about what the NSA has and doesn't have? No... we need a working program that uses what is NOT broken. You say its broken but its really not, its just those servers choice to use something different that clearly works for the masses.

I've rolled back my program but I'm starting to look for something else and tell others to do the same just from the lack of understanding and the constant ignoring of facts from you.
botg wrote:If you don't mind the total lack of security, you can always force use of plain FTP in the Site Manager.
Stop saying this.. I like many others use the quickconnect and that doesn't function from site manager. Stop ignoring what is being requested.

Simple solution: default this change OFF and give an option to enable it...so simple a caveman could do it and everyone would be happy!

botg
Site Admin

#165 Post by botg » 2015-02-24 09:04

Why doesn't the Caveman grunt at his server administrator to simply have the server fixed?