Cannot retrieve directory listing.

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

audiopro
226 Transfer OK
First name: Keith

Cannot retrieve directory listing.

#1 Post by audiopro » 2015-01-09 10:30

Updated to latest version, now program reports as below.

Code: Select all

Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command:	PWD
Response:	257 "/" is your current location
Command:	TYPE I
Response:	200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
Command:	PASV
Response:	227 Entering Passive Mode (xx,xxx,xxx,xx,xx,xx)
Command:	MLSD
Error:	Connection timed out
Error:	Failed to retrieve directory listing
I have reinstalled but still reporting same problem.
Morecambe - Where the sun goes at night

emmrecs
500 Command not understood
First name: Jeff
Last name: Clarke

Re: Cannot retrieve directory listing.

#2 Post by emmrecs » 2015-01-09 10:44

I'm experiencing what I believe is the same problem.

Have used Filezilla successfully for several years to connect to my host. After the latest update, installed this morning, on attempting to connect I first receive the error message captured in the attached screenshot. I click OK but nothing further happens, until the attempted connection fails.

Log:

Code: Select all

Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command:	PWD
Response:	257 "/" is your current location
Command:	TYPE I
Response:	200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
Command:	PASV
Response:	227 Entering Passive Mode (193,0,158,12,177,88)
Command:	MLSD
Error:	Connection timed out
Error:	Failed to retrieve directory listing
TIA for any advice!
Attachments
ScreenShot00087.jpg
ScreenShot00087.jpg (281.85 KiB) Viewed 65925 times

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2015-01-09 13:16

Contact your server hosting provider for assistance. The server's certificate is expired and the server furthermore doesn't seem to be configured correctly for FTP over TLS.

audiopro
226 Transfer OK

#4 Post by audiopro » 2015-01-09 14:05

Thanks Tim
I have arrived at the same conclusion myself as connections to other ISP's work as before.
Is the problem usually something specific or can there be several causes?

audiopro
226 Transfer OK

#5 Post by audiopro » 2015-01-09 20:36

My ISP inform me that their server does not support FTP over TLS due to some security issues.

Once again I find myself wasting time trying to get basic things working because some experts don't appear to have the foggiest clue what they are doing.
I am not sure which experts are at fault but I do wish we could return to the days when people developed things and they actually worked reliably, even if they were a little slow.

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2015-01-10 01:12

They can't be serious. Might be they are unable to update the server and so it is still vulnerable against Heartbleed/POODLE. Instead of fixing that mess they tell everyone to connect using plain FTP?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

audiopro
226 Transfer OK

#7 Post by audiopro » 2015-01-10 08:05

They now tell me that they have tested it with 3.10.0 and it works fine.

emmrecs
First name: Jeff
Last name: Clarke

#8 Post by emmrecs » 2015-01-10 09:32

The reply I received from my ISP was:
I have tested the FTP connection to both domain names within your account and I was able to access these without an issue. While I did receive an 'unknown certificate' error, I was able to continue past this easily using the on-screen instructions.

From Filezillas own information, I can see that they suggest adding your domain names to the 'Site Manager' within the program, where you can disable the TLS connection method. I would advise you do this if you are not able to continue past this message.
I have now set up my two server connections under the "Site Manager" setting and can now connect via that route; I will test later today whether the "standard" acees is, indeed as they say, possible.

audiopro
226 Transfer OK

#9 Post by audiopro » 2015-01-10 10:46

I already had all of my connections set up in site manager.
All the connections work except for one particular ISP.

I can still use plain FTP but it's use is not advised - apparently, due to security issues.

Rygel
503 Bad sequence of commands

#10 Post by Rygel » 2015-01-15 22:19

Just to chime in on this thread to help make it known that it's not something isolated to just the OP, I ran into the same issue after latest FZ update.

I've been using FileZilla for many users and always update to latest version as soon as it becomes available, and I'm using it to log in to the same accounts / servers that I have been for many years. This problem only occurred after upgrading to the latest FileZilla 3.10.0.1 (as of the time of this post) and does not occur with earlier versions of FileZilla. I tested that out as I still have previous version of FileZilla installed on my other two workstations (and also tested with other popular FTP programs latest versions).

Then I discovered what a couple others have here - works fine in Plain FTP mode. Several hosts that I connect to do not allow the "FTP over TLS" connection (at least not on Port 21) that the new FZ 3.10.0.1 defaults all of my 200+ connections in the Site Manager to after the update.

The SSL certificates on the server (both hostname and domain names) are valid / current / not expired.

For now only 3 solutions work for me:
1. Use previous version of FileZilla or
2. Use other FTP app (obviously not a good solution, as I prefer FileZilla)
3. Manually change all of my connections in my Site Manager in the new FZ to use Plain FTP

Just sharing experience, please don't shoot the messenger.

Timmeh
Last name: Cox

#11 Post by Timmeh » 2015-01-16 00:39

I had the same problem as described above. Worked fine, then updated. Got a security certificate message (which I confirmed was safe).
Directory listings time out, but not every time. Usually work on the second try. I'd say it's the "Use explicit FTP over TLS if available" setting.

Rather than change to "Only use plain FTP" I changed from FTP to SFTP (SSH). Seems to work fine.

I'd rather that than an insecure connection.

boco
Contributor

#12 Post by boco » 2015-01-16 04:51

Several hosts that I connect to do not allow the "FTP over TLS" connection (at least not on Port 21) that the new FZ 3.10.0.1 defaults all of my 200+ connections in the Site Manager to after the update.
Then why those host's server announce they do support FTPS Explicit? If they didn't FileZilla would not even attempt it. Additionally, the default is to use FTPS Explicit IF AVAILABLE. That means FileZilla fell for your server's lies.

Rygel
503 Bad sequence of commands

#13 Post by Rygel » 2015-01-16 08:18

boco wrote:
Several hosts that I connect to do not allow the "FTP over TLS" connection (at least not on Port 21) that the new FZ 3.10.0.1 defaults all of my 200+ connections in the Site Manager to after the update.
Then why those host's server announce they do support FTPS Explicit? If they didn't FileZilla would not even attempt it. Additionally, the default is to use FTPS Explicit IF AVAILABLE. That means FileZilla fell for your server's lies.
I almost don't even know what to say to a response like that. FileZilla "fell for my server's lies" ? :? Why are you acting as if I attacked FZ or something?

I love FileZilla and have been recommending it for many years, but the way users are treated and talked to here is an embarrassment.

Granted; occasionally a few users make ridiculous demands and claims here in the forums and a few don't even bother to read anything at all before posting, but that's no reason to treat ALL users like they're some kind of troll out to get you. Especially those of us who have always been respectful in the past and were only providing constructive feedback that could be beneficially expanded upon in a community discussion.

Some of the replies I've seen in the threads related to this topic (here and also in other threads) almost reek of angry defensive pride over something that might just simply be an unpopular decision.

Telling user's that their servers are "broken" and "lying" is just as bad as when we see users calling the new default setting a "bug" and stomping around like spoiled brats. Both are a bit sad, and neither are quite right.

My recent posts were only in the spirit of trying to provide some kind of constructive input and feedback but now even I'm feeling on the defensive and that's getting plain silly.

botg
Site Admin
Last name: Kosse

#14 Post by botg » 2015-01-16 11:02

Subjective truths can be objective lies.

Even if the server daemon thinks it supports FTP over TLS, the logical server entity isn't configured properly. From an outside point of view, what the daemon thinks as truth is objectively a lie, an untruth, a falsehood.

boco
Contributor

#15 Post by boco » 2015-01-16 15:49

I meant 'lie' as in a fully technical sense. The server claimed to support FTPS, and FileZilla fell for it. I never attacked you, personally.