Failed to retrieve directory listing

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

schieb
500 Command not understood
First name: Eric
Last name: Schieb

Re: Failed to retrieve directory listing

#16 Post by schieb » 2015-02-03 14:45

Downgrade to 3.9 was also a simple solution to get me through this issue today. Thankfully I have many of the older versions in my downloads directory.

botg:>The problem is that your server says

Are you suggesting that this should be a call to Bluehost? That is never fun. I did look through their FTP control panel and did not see anything resembling your description of the problem.

Currently it seem simpler to tell my customers to continue using anything other than 3.10 until I understand how we can change a setting somewhere to avoid the issue.

thanks,

Eric Schieb

boco
Contributor

#17 Post by boco » 2015-02-03 20:00

Yes, it's them who need to correct the issue with their servers. Unfortunately those dinosaurs move very slowly, if they move at all. But like the dinosaurs they might go extinct some day if they don't adapt to newer technologies.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

oscartt21
First name: Richard
Last name: Rawlins

#18 Post by oscartt21 » 2015-02-06 10:57

I Upgraded to filezilla version 3.10.1.1 and had the same problem so all i did was go to Site Manager and under the General tab set Only use plain FTP (insecure) for the Encryption and this worked.
In settings > connections > FTP: I have 'active' mode selected and 'Allow fallback to other transfer mode on failure' checked
In settings > connections > FTP > Active mode: I have 'Ask your operating system for the external IP address' selected
In settings > connections > FTP > Passive mode: I have 'Fall back to active mode' selected
In settings > connections > FTP > FTP Proxy: I have 'None' selected.

Hope this helps

lwalper
First name: lwalper

#19 Post by lwalper » 2015-02-21 01:31

I'm using 3.10.1.1 as well and don't even see the options you describe.

I tried going back to 3.8 with no change in access to godaddy servers. No joy.

lwalper
First name: lwalper

#20 Post by lwalper » 2015-02-21 14:24

lwalper wrote:I'm using 3.10.1.1 as well and don't even see the options you describe.

I tried going back to 3.8 with no change in access to godaddy servers. No joy.
Don't have any idea what the problem is, but today I can immediately connect. Maybe it has something to do with the number of users trying to connect at the same time??? Whatever, it is frustrating!

josesebas
First name: Sebastian
Last name: Valero

#21 Post by josesebas » 2015-03-26 19:07

Excelente Funciono con FileZilla 3.10.2
Gracias.
Excellent!! Work Fine with FileZilla 3.10.2
Thank's

oscartt21 wrote:I Upgraded to filezilla version 3.10.1.1 and had the same problem so all i did was go to Site Manager and under the General tab set Only use plain FTP (insecure) for the Encryption and this worked.
In settings > connections > FTP: I have 'active' mode selected and 'Allow fallback to other transfer mode on failure' checked
In settings > connections > FTP > Active mode: I have 'Ask your operating system for the external IP address' selected
In settings > connections > FTP > Passive mode: I have 'Fall back to active mode' selected
In settings > connections > FTP > FTP Proxy: I have 'None' selected.

Hope this helps

naren_

#22 Post by naren_ » 2015-05-26 03:55

The "go to File > Site Manager" solution works fine for me, but when I start FileZilla up and try QuickConnect, it still hangs at the retrieving file listing command. I do not have to change anything, just go to File > Site Manager and press Connect ("use plain ftp" is already enabled and saved in site manager preferences.)

The larger issue is willingness to listen to users's tales of woe and not dismiss them out of hand, I think. Maybe the fault is with 1,000,000 servers but it's impractical for novice non-techie users to understand that and act upon it. FileZilla is quite popular with people who have no idea what a port 21 is. One way out would be to make plain ftp default but warn users how it's bad and non-conformant and they are better off selling their children into slavery than use unencrypted ftp. And then let them continue if they want to.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#23 Post by botg » 2015-05-26 07:17

One way out would be to make plain ftp default but warn users how it's bad and non-conformant and they are better off selling their children into slavery than use unencrypted ftp.
Most users would actually prefer selling their children into slavery over learning anything new.

obelixTerror
First name: Julio
Last name: Ramos

#24 Post by obelixTerror » 2015-09-09 13:29

Hi Sirs,

I am one of Server Administrators for an Internal FTP, that due to security needs Authentication for FTP site is in TLSv1.

- Using Client Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional 12.2 (Nov 10 2009), at Site Manager / Entry / Advanced
Server Type FTP/SSL (AUTH SSL)
Use unencrypted command channel after SSL authentication Is on
Use TLSv1 only is ON
Reuse SSL Session is ON

Connection works

However, with FileZilla 3.11.01 (2015-05-22)
Protocol FTP
Encryption is Use explicit FTP over TLS if available
Logon Type Ask for password

i did not find how to force TLSv1 that is how our server works.

Can you guys indicate me so i can provide support to mine colleagues how can they use FileZilla instead WS_FTP licensed, because new colleagues don't hold a license.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#25 Post by botg » 2015-09-09 16:39

However, with FileZilla 3.11.01 (2015-05-22)
Please update to the most recent version of FileZilla, old versions are not supported.

davodavo
First name: David
Last name: Taber

#26 Post by davodavo » 2015-10-12 22:29

Ho boy. Update on this old thread (using FZ 3.14 on Windows 7).

Comcast "home" internet service appears to be blocking some traffic that precludes FileZilla working at all. Weird because it (1) seems to be only on directory listings and (2) does not affect the windows command line ftp client. There's something strange in the way FileZilla is asking for directory listings (ls).

Once the network issue is out of the way, if you want to get the directory listing for GoDaddy the FileZilla settings in the Site Manager have to be just-so:
- host is your web server's IP address (get that from the GoDaddy web hosting manager)
- leave the port blank
- protocol is FTP, not sFTP
- encryption is "use explicit FTP over TLS if available"
- transfer mode is Passive

rajbarge@hotmail.com
First name: raj
Last name: barge

#27 Post by rajbarge@hotmail.com » 2016-03-14 20:12

ANSWER
=======

I just changed the encryption from "Use explicit FTP over TLS if available" to "Only use plain FTP" (insecure) at site manager and it works!

noface0711
504 Command not implemented
First name: Richard
Last name: Franklin

#28 Post by noface0711 » 2016-03-19 07:19

That is a self-signed certificate. That is why it popped up. Unless you don't own the cert, there is nothing to worry about. :)

boco
Contributor

#29 Post by boco » 2016-03-19 20:54

FileZilla doesn't make any difference. The popup comes at least one time for every new certificate encountered, for giving the user the opportunity to explicitly trust it. The certification store of the OS is NOT used at all.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

behestee
First name: Hussain
Last name: Behestee

#30 Post by behestee » 2016-06-09 16:42

botg wrote:It's not a problem in FileZilla. If you tell the old version to use explicit FTP over TLS it will fail just the same. The problem is that your server says it supports FTP over TLS when in fact it does not due to a firewall interfering with the connection.
Yes, it is true.. Thanks for your help..