Filezilla 3.0x TLS Question

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

crash893
500 Command not understood
First name: Nonya
Last name: Biz

Filezilla 3.0x TLS Question

#1 Post by crash893 » 2015-01-09 17:29

I'm sure I'm not the only one to ask but I am having trouble finding reliable answers

I am getting "filezilla error: Failed to retrieve directory listing godaddy" errors from Filezilla which i belive is becuase of a blocked port on my wirewall

1) Does Godaddy support the new filezilla "use explicit FTP over TLS if avaiable" (i have a ticket in with godaddy as well but thats not going to happen quickly)
1a) bonus if it require configuration where do i do that

2) what port does this new "use explicit FTP over TLS if avaiable" use

I've tried port 22 21 990

I also see the firewall is kicking out
dstport="50141"
dstport="50158"
dstport="50180"
dstport="50321"
dstport="50498"
dstport="50723"
dstport="50978"

But im not sure what the proper port is

Additonal information

Filezilla was able to get the SHA thumbprint of my godaddy server so there was some sort of talking going on but it just hangs on the retreiving driectory information

Thanks if you can help

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Filezilla 3.0x TLS Question

#2 Post by botg » 2015-01-09 21:14

You can use https://ftptest.net/ to check whether your server supports FTP over TLS.

Explicit FTP over TLS uses the same port as regular FTP, port 21. Note that this only applies to the control connection. In both plaintext FTP as well as encrypted FTP over TLS, the port used for the data connection is negotiated on-the-fly over the control connection.

See https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Netw ... figuration for a more detailed explanation how FTP works and how a badly configured firewall appears to help in case of plaintext FTP but only makes things worse when using FTP over TLS.