Memory leak?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

derwood5555

Memory leak?

#1 Post by derwood5555 » 2016-04-12 22:29

I have used FileZilla Client for a very long time now and I've never seen behavior like this before.

I had several large downloads to complete today. The first batch involved about 50 gig total. At about the 35 gig mark, the system started thrashing and became non-responsive. I could not get task manager to start and I could not get FileZilla to close. I could see through the RainMeter skin I have that swap was at 98% and so was RAM. I ended up having to hold in my system power switch to get it to shut off.

Later on today I had another 29 gig to download and I'm sitting here watching the RAM and swap usage climb on my system. Besides Chrome so I can create this entry, FileZilla is the only thing open on this system. I normally keep it running morning to evening and have never had a problem with running out of swap or RAM. My system has 12 gig and I have the swap sizing set to let windows choose best size.

I'm running FileZilla Client 3.16.1. The download is through SFTP and I'm running Windows 10. Again, never had a problem with memory management on this system.

Any ideas?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Memory leak?

#2 Post by botg » 2016-04-13 06:53

It seems unlikely that there's such a massive memory leak in FileZilla, especially since yours is the only report.

The issue is most likely due to a memory leak in a third-party program. Good candidates are virus scanners, firewalls, shell extensions and any programs that change the look&feel of Windows.

boco
Contributor

#3 Post by boco » 2016-04-13 17:34

Additionally, 2016-04-12 was Patchday, the day where Windows Update goes Rampage on Windows 7/8.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2016-04-13 18:35

boco wrote:Additionally, 2016-04-12 was Patchday, the day where Windows Update goes Rampage on Windows 7/8.
Don't tell me. 3 hours of 100% CPU just to search for updates and than 5 hours of 100% CPU load for no reason after the mandatory reboot.

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2016-04-13 18:47

My guess: Mere coincidence. While transferring with FileZilla, WU just killed the system.
5 hours of 100% CPU load for no reason after the mandatory reboot.
Having 'fun' with .NET ngen.exe and TrustedInstaller, I guess. :?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin

#6 Post by botg » 2016-04-13 21:24

Neither, it's svchost. It creates 20GB log files and then tries to zip them up.

Koyaanis
500 Command not understood

#7 Post by Koyaanis » 2016-08-31 10:05

Ever since the Windows 10 anniversary update filezilla has been leaking for me too. It took me weeks before I nailed it down to filezilla and I'm 100% sure it is filezilla that is causing it.

It pretty much happens just as OP explained it: You're downloading a bunch of files and you can see how the RAM gradually fills up. Once I'm done downloading and close filezilla, the RAM stays filled. I need to reboot my system to empty the RAM again.

I haven't tried if uploading does the same thing, because my upload rate is simply too slow.

botg
Site Admin

#8 Post by botg » 2016-08-31 10:44

Once I'm done downloading and close filezilla, the RAM stays filled.
Then it's not a memory leak in FileZilla but in the operating system itself. Contact Microsoft for assistance.

fortissimo
504 Command not implemented

#9 Post by fortissimo » 2021-05-28 18:15

I am experiencing the same problem, and it happens every time, very predictably. I'm in the process of digitizing my movie collection. I have a FileZilla server set up on another computer (a computer that is devoted to just encoding movies with Handbrake), and I upload movies from this computer to that computer, which causes the problem. I will also note that Handbrake is not running during the transfers.

Each Blu-Ray rip is 20-40GB, and after one or 1-1/2 files have transferred, my client computer starts slowing down to the point where I can barely do anything. The computer even has trouble communicating with the sound card: another open web browser that is playing mynoise.net background starts skipping. The transfer itself sometimes pauses, sometimes for a long time, and sometimes the transfer is aborted and then FileZilla apparently retries and resumes the transfer. Once every great while, it aborts so many times that it gives up altogether (I've come back to the computer at times when FileZilla cleared its upload queue, but the files on the server side are clearly too small, so I re-upload the files, and half of them resume from partial uploads).

This system crippling doesn't happen with ANY other software. I have 32GB of RAM and a 24-core Threadripper. Running Windows 10 x64.

This happened with my previous computer (before I got the Threadripper) too. I don't think this is just a Windows thing, because I push my computer to a lot of extremes in terms of both processing and data, and FileZilla is the only software that brings my computer to its knees. If I interrupt the transfer and quit FileZilla, it takes some time for the computer to recover, but it eventually returns back to normal. Then I reload FileZilla and resume the transfers, and it's brought to its knees again.

fortissimo

#10 Post by fortissimo » 2021-05-28 18:35

Update. After using the Resource Monitor to see if I could pinpoint this problem, it looks now like it's caused by bdservicehost.exe. This is BitDefender. The amount of memory used by this process gets to be pretty insane over the course of the file upload, so I think FileZilla is off the hook. I contacted BitDefender about this problem.

botg
Site Admin

#11 Post by botg » 2021-05-31 07:07

it's caused by bdservicehost.exe. This is BitDefender. The amount of memory used by this process gets to be pretty insane over the course of the file upload
Everyone knows that the best way to scan a 40GB file is to first load it completely into memory /s

fortissimo

#12 Post by fortissimo » 2021-05-31 07:13

LOL no kidding. Reminds me of Gary Larson's "Al's Diner" cartoon where an exceptionally stupid cook is flipping a pancake by lifting the entire stove rather than just the pan.