Disable Drag & Drop

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

mr_spine
500 Command not understood
First name: John
Last name: Hawkins

Disable Drag & Drop

#1 Post by mr_spine » 2017-10-18 08:20

Hi,

Running Filezilla 3.25.1 on Windows 7.

I read that the filezilla.xml file should contain a setting to remove drag&drop functionality. Mine does not, and adding the setting has had no effect (in the xml file).

I want to restrict ALL drag and drop functionality (between servers, within same server, to desktop etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

boco
Contributor

Re: Disable Drag & Drop

#2 Post by boco » 2017-10-18 10:28

You didn't follow our most important rule: Always update to the latest version before trying things and expecting support, here!

However, that setting should work, even in that ancient version (introduced in 3.18.0-rc1).

Code: Select all

<Setting name="Drag and Drop disabled">1</Setting>
That setting works for me in filezilla.xml. On Windows 7, that file is in "%APPDATA%\FileZilla".
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2017-10-18 11:18

Isn't there a Windows setting to disable drag&drop system-wide?

tedych
426 Connection timed out
First name: Teo
Last name: Meo

#4 Post by tedych » 2018-07-25 08:10

I posted in the trac but I feel having this here would also be helpful to gain some more "popularity".
An option to disable dragdrop only for the trees would be very helpful. Or at least some confirmation (option for).
I'm also in the group of mistake-makers when trying to select folders in the tree. A small movement and you "disable" a whole server without even knowing what you had moved, no undo, no confirmations.
At the same time I often use dragdrop to upload/download files/folders in the right panes. There, I've never done any mistakes.
The current option to disable drag-drop for the whole app is not workable for me.

kelvin0mql
First name: Kelvin
Last name: Olson

#5 Post by kelvin0mql » 2018-07-26 13:20

tedych wrote:
2018-07-25 08:10
An option to disable dragdrop only for the trees would be very helpful.
Yes. This. So much this.

100% of the reason I am so thrilled to just now be learning that I could shut off all of the drag & drop functionality is because of tree navigation accidentally sucking folders inside of other folders.

I'm in a hurry - like all of the time panic hurry. I'm always looking for the quickest way to navigate to where I need to be, and sometimes that's the arrow-turning because it's one click faster than double-clicking in the pane below.

So I'm now going to go figure out where filezilla.xml resides on this Mac, and shut off all the dragging. But if I had the option to shut it off only for the directory trees, I might just pee m'self with joy.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#6 Post by botg » 2018-07-26 15:13

Why disable it only for the directory trees and not the file list? Both can equally be used to move directories into other directories.

smnstlzr

#7 Post by smnstlzr » 2022-05-23 06:54

botg wrote:
2018-07-26 15:13
Why disable it only for the directory trees and not the file list? Both can equally be used to move directories into other directories.
Hi,
just stumbled upon this thread while searching for this setting too.

I think the best option would be a setting to just disable drag and drop in the file- and folder selection of the server itself.
The drag and drop for down- and uploads is fine and a feature i use a lot.

An other nice addition would be to just enable a popup for drag and drop options to confirm before anything gets moved.

I have currently disabled drag and drop generally because i am always in fear that i shutdown the entire server when i just want to navigate on the server.

Inuya5ha

#8 Post by Inuya5ha » 2023-01-31 14:10

boco wrote:
2017-10-18 10:28

Code: Select all

<Setting name="Drag and Drop disabled">1</Setting>
This option could be improved by allowing to disable either local and remote drag&drop separately, because dragging of local files and folders by mistake is less likely to create a total server failure. On the other hand, mistakenly dragging a remote folder is potentially catastrophic. :!:

Such options could be perfectly located in Filezilla's File list Settings page, where there's plenty of space to add them as shown here:

Also, this would mean that file and folder downloads and uploads do keep the drag and drop functionality, only local moving and remote moving would be disabled. Accidentally dragging-and-dropping a folder from local to remote side is not a possibility even with the worst mouse.

Please do consider adding this option to the GUI (at least in its current global fashion) because in serious production environments it's very easy to make a fatal error due to accidental folder dragging. I see no reason why this option must remain hidden in the XML file, which is almost the same as not providing such option at all.