Remote folder listed as "Empty" even though there ARE files in it.

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

earl@solie.org
500 Command not understood
First name: Earl
Last name: Oliver

Remote folder listed as "Empty" even though there ARE files in it.

#1 Post by earl@solie.org » 2017-12-26 09:01

I have been using FileZilla for years on my Yahoo web account and have never seen this problem. I set up an FTP transfer to a directory on my web server that I have had in place since 2010 - suddenly, tonight. I made the connection and the remote directory is listed as "Empty". There are literally thousands of files in the directory as well as numerous sub-folders, but I can't see any of them. I transferred some corrected files into the directory and they showed as long as the transfer was active - but as soon as the last file finished transferring, the directory listing reverted to "Empty" again. I then went to my browser and examined the pages I had just sent over and they are all there with the changes intact. So everything is actually working, but I just can't see the contents of the folder. By the way, I have several other folders in the same tree and opening any of them shows me the full content of those directories - but this one particular folder keeps coming up as "Empty".

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Remote folder listed as "Empty" even though there ARE files in it.

#2 Post by botg » 2017-12-26 10:26

If you enable Show raw directory listing on the debug page in the settings menu, do the files get shown in the message log when you refresh the directory listing?

earl@solie.org

#3 Post by earl@solie.org » 2017-12-26 17:59

That doesn't appear to do anything. No files listed in the remote directory or the message log.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2017-12-26 18:35

That means it's a server-side problem. You need to contact your server administrator or server hosting provider for assistance.

earl@solie.org

#5 Post by earl@solie.org » 2017-12-26 19:13

Thanks!

reinhart97
First name: Lucas
Last name: Reinhart

#6 Post by reinhart97 » 2019-10-30 16:39

This problem ended up being NTFS permissions on the folder. The FileZilla FTP service runs as local system by default and someone had removed inherited permissions on the folder and did not choose the option to convert the existing permissions which removed the SYSTEM user permissions from the root user folder. To fix it, I simply added SYSTEM to the NTFS permissions with full control.

rodolito

#7 Post by rodolito » 2021-02-28 20:39

reinhart97 wrote:
2019-10-30 16:39
This problem ended up being NTFS permissions on the folder. The FileZilla FTP service runs as local system by default and someone had removed inherited permissions on the folder and did not choose the option to convert the existing permissions which removed the SYSTEM user permissions from the root user folder. To fix it, I simply added SYSTEM to the NTFS permissions with full control.
I happen to have the same problem. Could you please explain how you solved it? You say it was a problem of NTFS permissions. Are you talking about the permissions in the folder where Filezilla is installed? I am talking about the client Filezilla not the server. Hope you are referring to the same. I checked the permissions in the folder and they are all Allowed in Full Control. Could you please explain where exactly I should modify the permissions. Thanks
Last edited by botg on 2021-03-01 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to yell

Tsunami
First name: Enrico
Last name: V.

#8 Post by Tsunami » 2021-04-29 10:05

I have the same issue on several linux ext4 servers and I connect with SFTP from a linux client.
If I create a file in the "false-empty" folder, files magically appears.
It is really annoying to create a file and delete it everytime this issue randomly happens.
It is not a NTFS issue, it is definitely a Filezilla bug!