530 Login authentication failed

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: 530 Login authentication failed

#16 Post by botg » 2010-12-20 07:23

Wrong username and/or password. Please contact your server administrator to inquire about the correct login credentials.

Practical enough for you? Or do you want me to hold your hands while you talk to the server administrator?

boco
Contributor

#17 Post by boco » 2010-12-20 09:22

98% of that issue is the famous PEBKAC/layer 8 problem. The 2% rest is technical difficulties on the server or network devices crippling the traffic. The reason the problem's not be solved by us is because we can't, nothing to fix in FileZilla.

Ah yes, and the reason that so many posts exist is because they aren't deleted. Would you feel better if we did?

A few points to take care of:

FTP is very unforgiving with password handling. That means:

-Check all user names and passwords two times! If they fail, check a third time. I, myself, didn't see the wood for the trees several times, so to speak.
-Take care with case! FTP passwords are ALWAYS case sensitive. User names are, too, on many UNIX servers. So ''John'' is not the same as ''john''.
-When copy-pasting your credentials, watch out! Most of the time either a leading or trailing space character may be included, causing the credentials to fail. Copying from email is a prominent example of such trouble.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

theworldofmarla
500 Command not understood

#18 Post by theworldofmarla » 2010-12-21 19:57

Unable to login as I received 530 error message:
Response: 530 Login authentication failed
Error: Critical error
Error: Could not connect to server

I have set up FTP for 2 other sites and I think I've read all of the other posts here on the 530 topic, as well as posts on this topic on other websites. These are the problems I've seen from others as well as what I've checked on my end:

They didn't use the right case for logging in: I've used the right upper/lower case, and even tried variations, but it didnt' work.

They used the wrong names, typed the wrong info such as wrong username into fields: I have been able to do this right on 2 other sites. I'm using the info from the same "configure FTP client" setup method as before. Host field, user field, etc have been set up with the same format as the other sites.

Computer security issues: I am using the same computers which I used to successfully create FTP accounts and have not had security issues with the other sites. (I can even get into them now.) Issues such as the security being set so high that it didn't allow the connection hasn't been a problem before.

Host issues: I have set this up with the other sites using the same host.

Others haven't read the network configuration document in filezilla wiki: I've read this and still don't see where I'm going wrong. I believe I understand FTP. I've done this successfully, and I've gone through the steps listed in Setting up FileZilla Server with Windows Firewall from the document. I didn't have to do that with the other sites, but I did it this time--just to be sure.

Too many browsers open, RAM issues, etc: The computer I'm using at work is 4GB RAM, the one at home is 8GB RAM. Even though I can open FTP on the other sites I've set up when I'm running a lot of stuff, I closed down all other applications and the FTP connection with the other sites was fine, just not on the one I'm setting up.

Copy/Pasting: I have typed this in directly with no spaces before or after the username, password, etc.

Downloading prior Filezilla version: I also downloaded version 2.2.32. This still didn't let me in.

I'm out of ideas on how to fix this. Assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

boco
Contributor

#19 Post by boco » 2010-12-21 22:44

There are some more possible problems:
-Account suspended on the server, or you are required to change password through cPanel or similar web feature.
-Server is having trouble with certain special characters in user names or passwords. Best example is the @ symbol.
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.

theworldofmarla

#20 Post by theworldofmarla » 2010-12-22 02:27

boco wrote:There are some more possible problems:
-Account suspended on the server, or you are required to change password through cPanel or similar web feature.
-Server is having trouble with certain special characters in user names or passwords. Best example is the @ symbol.
Thank you for responding. I believe the account was suspended on the server as you said. My friend is a hosting reseller who set up my account. When I told him about this and your advice, he called me back later and when I logged in, I got in!

Issue resolved. Thanks so much!

OrangeBox
First name: Max
Last name: Bajhmoom

#21 Post by OrangeBox » 2011-01-24 01:59

Congratulations :D I made it !!!!
for IIS7 please follow the bellow steps !

1- Open the IIS7 and Right click on "Sites" under your server and select "Edit Blindings".

2- Click on Add and select "FTP" under type and click OK and close.

3- Bengo :D finally it work here wish the same to you guys and girls for sure.

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 Hello OrangeBox !
Command: USER ******
Response: 331 Password required for sultan.
Command: PASS *******************
Response: 230-Orange Box is welcoming you !
Response: Directory has 8,209,031,168 bytes of disk space available.
Response: 230 User logged in.
Command: OPTS UTF8 ON
Response: 200 OPTS UTF8 command successful - UTF8 encoding now ON.
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is current directory.

deedee901
First name: Deon
Last name: Williams

#22 Post by deedee901 » 2011-02-10 12:04

You may want to check with your hosting company. My hosting company requires that customers change their ftp password every 6 months. When I neglected to change it, my hosting company changed my password automatically. You should be able to find out if that is the case by checking your control panel for your ftp login information.

iamyaM

#23 Post by iamyaM » 2011-02-11 01:36

As of the past month or two, this error has forced us away from FileZilla. Sites that were stored in the Connection Manager suddenly stopped working - one to a Unix mainframe, and the other to a Linux web server. Other clients work just fine (WinSCP, an old version of WSFTP Pro). It still works fine for our Windows servers.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#24 Post by botg » 2011-02-11 07:11

Nothing suddenly stops working without something having changed. Can you please identify what has changed?

iamyaM

#25 Post by iamyaM » 2011-02-11 14:11

Just FileZilla versions. The mainframe does not get updated. The Linux servers may have received automatic updates. The client OS's are all Windows - some XP, some Win7/Win7 x64.

michel_tobon
First name: Michel
Last name: Tobon

#26 Post by michel_tobon » 2012-02-20 22:04

The answer is very simple, you have to add the file structure to your host name

Example: if the subdomain you are going to connect is called: mySubdomain

then you have to connect like this:
host: example.com/mySubdomain
user: myUser
password: myPassword

and voilá, took me 10 minutes to figure it out

P.S. If you are going to connect to your root, obviously you need to connect ho example.com directly

JDavidB
First name: J. David
Last name: Brandenburg

#27 Post by JDavidB » 2012-02-24 22:42

I am encountering the 530 error. I have tried to upload the pages with both FileZilla and another program, but I am getting the 530 error in both cases. As well as I can tell, I have followed the directions as closely as possible.

boco
Contributor

#28 Post by boco » 2012-02-24 23:15

The 530 issue is either a user- or a server error. The FTP server basically wants to tell you: ''I cannot let you login as an error occured''. The most prominent reason for a 530 error are invalid login credentials. So, first check if the login information you use is indeed correct. If it still doesn't work, then, you need to contact server support staff.

Note that 530 is a permanent error, waiting will usually not resolve it.

JDavidB
First name: J. David
Last name: Brandenburg

#29 Post by JDavidB » 2012-02-25 00:29

If "server support staff" refers to the company, which hosts my website, then I already have spoken with them. They suggested that I simply keep trying. Unfortunately, this is the first time that I ever have attempted to upload a website, and I really know very little about it.

dmok

#30 Post by dmok » 2012-02-28 14:56

I was having the same issue with godaddy/filezilla 3.5.3. What worked for me was changing the ftp user password.

My password was something like this and wasn't working
ABCb@cky2

changed to something like this
R@is0n
This password worked. I have no I idea why though.

Hope this helps someone.