While installing FileZilla, rufare.exe virus detected by Avast antivirus

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

MariePie
504 Command not implemented
First name: Marie
Last name: Pierre

While installing FileZilla, rufare.exe virus detected by Avast antivirus

#1 Post by MariePie » 2018-05-06 12:28

Hi all.
I just downloaded the latest version of Filezilla 3.32.0 since the update through the running program was not possible (this was the same case last week). So I decided to follow the link in the Filezilla window and download it instead.
I chose to update instead of reinstall to not lose any settings.
As usuall install was fast and almost a no-brainer which is why I thought 'what?!' when I had clicked on 'Next' because it flashed some kind of search app as an extra option, which I am not used to. I hoped this would be fine, I have been using FileZilla for ages without problems.
But immediately Avast antivirus flashed me the message that 'rufare.exe' that was placed into quarantine.

I looked this up and found the following:

Threat Name
FileRepMetagen (PUP)

This was installed within the file 'rufare.exe' at the same time I installed the new version of FileZilla.

I can't find any information on 'rufare.exe' though.
Can someone shed a light?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: While installing FileZilla, rufare.exe virus detected by Avast antivirus

#2 Post by botg » 2018-05-06 17:12

I just downloaded the latest version of Filezilla 3.32.0 since the update through the running program was not possible
That's a common problem with faulty virus scanners. Please uninstall all faulty virus scanners and the update will work again.
As usuall install was fast and almost a no-brainer which is why I thought 'what?!' when I had clicked on 'Next' because it flashed some kind of search app as an extra option, which I am not used to.
In case an optional third-party offer has accidentally been accepted, it can be completely uninstalled through Windows' Add/Remove programs dialog. All offers are genuine, there is no malware being installed.

MariePie
504 Command not implemented
First name: Marie
Last name: Pierre

#3 Post by MariePie » 2018-05-12 11:52

Thank you.
But just to be sure: are you saying Avast Antivirus is faulty antivirus software?

The second thing is that I download FileZilla, not other software. So when I install it I expect it to be pure FileZilla, not bundled with crapware. I have been using FileZilla for ages and actively promote it. As a teacher, I recommend it to my students who use it to do their homework. I have paused recommendation now because I don't want anything else than FileZilla to be installed on their systems and them (or their parents) blaming me later.
So can you please tell me if and if so, which software is bundled with the latest install software from the FileZilla homepage?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2018-05-12 13:36

All AV software is faulty by design, all they do is to increase the attack surface. Common sense is enough to protect against malware.

Run the offer-enabled installer to see which products are offered during installation. Note that nothing is installed without your consent. All offers are entirely optional and can easily be declined without preventing the installation of FileZilla.