Unable to upload website files to desired folder

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

KurtsProject
500 Command not understood
First name: DJ

Unable to upload website files to desired folder

#1 Post by KurtsProject » 2018-06-11 15:42

I have created a website using WB Version 11 - a WYSIWYG Website Software Program for building websites.
My Hosting Server has not been able to help me so I am hoping someone here on File Zilla can help me.

The Problem:
(1) My hosting server told me files which I create for the building of my website SHOULD BE uploaded to the public_html folder.
(2) I do not want the files I have created to go to my main domain name (URL). Instead, I want them uploaded to my sub-domain name.
(3) The WB - 11 system I use builds automatically html for me; and it will upload the files I create (through using ftp) automatically when I click on "publish" after I have filled in the necessary data boxes, e.g., my project name, URL, HOST, User Name, Password, and the designated Remote Folder.
(4) I was able to upload my files successfully, however, they do NOT go to the folder of which makes it possible for the "finished product" to show when I click on the URL of the sub-domain I have chosen. Instead, the files go to a different folder in public_html.
(5) My hosting provider has tried creating several differently named folders for me in my cPanel but nothing works - the files don't go to them.
It is their opinion that I will have to MANUALLY upload my files using FTP File Client File Zilla rather than going through the auto upload system of WB-11.

Personally, I think that is an incorrect assumption on their part. WYSIWYG (now up to version WB-14) is used by thousands of people. If they all had to do what my hosting server tech guys say, the program software of WYSIWYG would not still be in existence.

I contend it is NOT necessary to manually upload my files using File Zilla.
So my ultimate question is this:

HOW do I get my files to go to the exact folder I want them to go to: For example, I created a folder named GalleryWelcome, and that folder does show up UNDER the public_html folder - I can see this in my "file manager" of cPanel. But the files don't get sent to the "GalleryWelcome folder.

Does anyone know WHY, and, how can I correct this problem?
Thank you in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this issue.

DJ

boco
Contributor

Re: Unable to upload website files to desired folder

#2 Post by boco » 2018-06-12 02:22

(3) The WB - 11 system I use builds automatically html for me; and it will upload the files I create (through using ftp) automatically when I click on "publish" after I have filled in the necessary data boxes, e.g., my project name, URL, HOST, User Name, Password, and the designated Remote Folder.
What do you enter there? Could it be you just need to specify the actual desired target directory, like /public_html/GalleryWelcome/?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

KurtsProject

#3 Post by KurtsProject » 2018-06-12 17:50

boco wrote:
2018-06-12 02:22
What do you enter there? Could it be you just need to specify the actual desired target directory, like /public_html/GalleryWelcome/?
Thanks for replying to my post.
I was finally able to get my version of Wb (version 11) to upload the files to my website!
I set the Remote Folder designation as: public_html/welcome.(followed by the main domain name) .com

The problem according to my Hosting Provider was that I should never have created an FTP Account but rather they want me to use my default FTP Account Name and Password. For some reason it got everything messed up.
By the way: WR -11 Website Program will NOT work for me if I put " / " in front of the word "public_html". It has to be public_html/welcome ..... (as I said above).
That was another problem I discovered - and only found out about it through "trial and error"

It has been awhile since I have used File Zilla directly to upload files (to any website of mine).
So I thought I would give it a try. I tried three times to upload my website files manually with File Zilla, but each time it failed to deliver (upload) them to the proper
folder. They would upload ok, but to the WRONG folder in my File Manager of cPanel.

DJ

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2018-06-12 21:19

If you FTP-upload to the correct directory in FileZilla, yet they appear to be in another directory in other services (like HTTP), I can imagine only two things:

1. The directory tree is constructed differently in FTP vs. other services. Odd, but entirely possible.

2. The hoster redirects the files upon upload.

KurtsProject

#5 Post by KurtsProject » 2018-07-14 23:57

I know what I am about to post below does not pertain to File Zilla, but since YOU mentioned to me in one of your replies that you use the website software program named WYSIWYG Version 11, I was hoping perhaps you could help me.
I have version 11, but it is no longer supported so I cannot open a support ticket.

My situation:
In my web pages I have created with WYSIWYG, I have a FORM which has multiple choices that can be clicked on in the drop down menu items (or "list" menu).

It does send the other data that is on the Form Page, but it will only send the LAST entry that is clicked on in the "list" or combo box.
No matter how many items I click on (holding down my CRTL key on my computer) it will only send the item LAST clicked on item to the Email address I have designated. All other data is received OK.

I am using the CVS method - not MySQL - to correlate, save, and send the data; and have "php mail" checked.
There is a provision for using MySQL, but I know nothing about building the proper TABLE in my Database - for this FORM I have on my web pages.

Do you have any idea WHY the system is only recording the option I LAST click on in the multiple selection box, rather than sending ALL items that I click on?
Any suggestion as to what I should be doing to make this Form Box function properly?

Hope you can help me because I really don't know who else to turn to.
DJ

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2018-07-15 01:05

I know what I am about to post below does not pertain to File Zilla, but since YOU mentioned to me in one of your replies that you use the website software program named WYSIWYG Version 11, I was hoping perhaps you could help me.
Do you mean me? I have never used that software program in my life and would like to know what post of mine makes you think otherwise.

WYSIWYG is a general term = "What You See Is What You Get". It describes a program where the result will look exactly the same like the elements you place in a toolbox-like GUI, contrary to the simple HTML editors where you enter only abstract code. So, if we refer to a WYSIWYG editor, we do not mean that special software, but the entire bunch of those editors.

KurtsProject

#7 Post by KurtsProject » 2018-07-15 07:57

Sorry, my mistake. Perhaps I confused this forum with another one.