Insecure server, it does not support FTP over TLS. But only when using real IP address

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

SergioQ
504 Command not implemented

Insecure server, it does not support FTP over TLS. But only when using real IP address

#1 Post by SergioQ » 2018-07-06 02:22

While I am technical, I am new to the Linux world, or should I say the server side of the world.

I have successfully set up my ftp user and have no problem logging in using FileZilla when I connect to the file server using it's LAN IP address 192.168.0.2. However when I use it's real outside world IP address I get the error below. The port forwarding on my router works in general as I have zero problems when using SSH from outside. And going by the message below it seems that I am connecting to the server but then it somehow gets clogged up.

And yes, when using the LAN address it's still set for FTP over TLS, but doesn't give me a headache.

Maybe this isn't a Filezilla error, but I thought someone might recognize what I am missing here.

Thanks ahead.
Status: Connecting to <my real world IP>:<port I established>
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Status: Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead.

boco
Contributor

Re: Insecure server, it does not support FTP over TLS. But only when using real IP address

#2 Post by boco » 2018-07-06 13:57

Check if there's any reaction at the server side, for the same session. My suspicion is that you do not reach your FTP server, but the one built into your router.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

SergioQ

Re: Insecure server, it does not support FTP over TLS. But only when using real IP address

#3 Post by SergioQ » 2018-07-06 17:19

boco wrote:
2018-07-06 13:57
Check if there's any reaction at the server side, for the same session. My suspicion is that you do not reach your FTP server, but the one built into your router.
Yes, it's router related. According to server logs the connect is made. So I opened port triggering for a WIDER range of ports and it works. So I guess I have to find what ports are involved for FTP other than the main one I assigned.

Because right now I have a range of 20,000 ports forwarded, would like to keep it minimal

thanks

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2018-07-06 19:36

The initial connection to the server is made on a dedicated port (default is 21 for FTP/FTPES and 990 for FTPS). File listings and transfers use dedicated ports
1. from the client-side range of data ports in Active mode, or
2. from the server-side range of data ports in Passive mode.

Those port ranges, if undefined, can use the complete 1025-65535 area (depends on OS).
So I guess I have to find what ports are involved for FTP other than the main one I assigned.
Simple answer: The main port and the Passive data port range you configured in the server software. If you didn't configure a range, you should do it first.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

SergioQ

#5 Post by SergioQ » 2018-07-06 21:14

boco wrote:
2018-07-06 19:36
The initial connection to the server is made on a dedicated port (default is 21 for FTP/FTPES and 990 for FTPS). File listings and transfers use dedicated ports
1. from the client-side range of data ports in Active mode, or
2. from the server-side range of data ports in Passive mode.

Those port ranges, if undefined, can use the complete 1025-65535 area (depends on OS).
So I guess I have to find what ports are involved for FTP other than the main one I assigned.
Simple answer: The main port and the Passive data port range you configured in the server software. If you didn't configure a range, you should do it first.
Thanks, I setup the FTP server from some website which I cannot find. So I looked at the Linux ufw ports, enabled forwarding on just those and it seems ok for now.