Windows client notification area icon persistence

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

tproto_lpz
500 Command not understood

Windows client notification area icon persistence

#1 Post by tproto_lpz » 2018-10-16 01:25

Hello;

I'm currently running the 64-bit build of version 3.36.0 of the FileZilla client on Microsoft Windows 10 (Windows 10 Pro 10.0.17134 Build 17134), and I have an issue with icons and the Notification Area.

I have notifications explicitly turned off for FileZilla (e.g. in Windows -> "Notifications & actions"), but when I upload files to my FTP server (running on a virtual machine) with these settings:

....about 50% of the time, after the file transfer completes, a FileZilla icon will appear in the Notification Area, and then refuses to go away. The application hasn't crashed. And there is no context menu at all when I right click on one of these icons. Double left-clicking one of these icons also produces no action. It's not the end of the world, but I often run 5 or 6 copies of FileZilla concurrently so that I can upload files from various directories without having to tediously switch back and forth between folders continuously, so the expanding row of unresponsive icons can end up taking quite a bit of taskbar space.

I can't see any existing posts about this particular issue, but my apologies if its been covered previously.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Windows client notification area icon persistence

#2 Post by botg » 2018-10-16 08:12

It's a bug in Windows if notifications are turned off yet a notification icon still appears. Contact Microsoft for assistance.

tproto_lpz
500 Command not understood

#3 Post by tproto_lpz » 2018-10-17 00:16

Thank you, this doesn't really surprise me. It's been a while since I did any desktop development, but constantly ran up against similar issues in the past.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2018-10-17 08:43

The notification area is a curious beast. For example programs can add icons but if the program is killed, Windows doesn't clean up the icon. Been like this at least since XP, possibly longer. That's not how a modern operating system should work.

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2018-10-17 13:33

There's more. When the system is busy, Systray icons might not even appear for all programs. Additionally, if Explorer restarts, many icons do not come back.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org