sFTP not using username/password but trying Keys

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

sbeck
500 Command not understood
First name: Scott
Last name: Beck

sFTP not using username/password but trying Keys

#1 Post by sbeck » 2018-11-12 15:49

Hello everyone, please assist if you can. I've got many FTP sites setup through the Site Manager and several use key files which I have loaded under Edit-Settings->SFTP->Public Key Authentication. Those work without issue. I've noticed on the last couple I've added that are sFTP and use just a username/password, that they will not connect and give an error of "Too many bad authentication attempts!" I see it trying all the key files and NOT trying the username and password. I talked to one vendor I was trying to connect to and he said it's sending the keys and not sending the username/password and gets kicked out due to too many bad connection attempts. Shouldn't FileZilla try the username/password first?????

sbeck
500 Command not understood
First name: Scott
Last name: Beck

Re: sFTP not using username/password but trying Keys

#2 Post by sbeck » 2018-11-12 15:58

So I read through someone else's topic on here and I see what's happening. FileZilla tries all the key files FIRST. I have 8 of them and of course the vendor is kicking out "too many bad authentication attempts" due to the fact that I've tried to connect 8 times with key files for someone else. With the logon type set to NORMAL and a username/password being provided, why is FileZilla not using that instead? It should be key files THEN username/password. It should be username/password THEN key files.