Filezilla SFTP keeps using SSL Private Key when it should not?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

MadManMadigan
504 Command not implemented
First name: Gideon
Last name: Lupine

Filezilla SFTP keeps using SSL Private Key when it should not?

#1 Post by MadManMadigan » 2019-02-09 02:48

I hope I am describing the problem correctly.

I think this started after I installed Putty and Bitvise SSH client. Not sure how those apps affected Filezilla.

I have installed and uninstalled Filezilla a couple of times. The problem happens when I try to login to WPEngine.com SFTP.

I have never used SSL Keys in Filezilla, I don't know why it started trying to use a private key file that I used in Putty & Bitvise for every SFTP site I login to even though I have tried Normal, Ask for Password and Interactive.

I can't get it to stop.

http://prntscr.com/min7zn

I think it may have to do with the Filezilla Update. Unfortunately, I did the update and the installs all around the same time.
Attachments
download (1).png
download (1).png (128.79 KiB) Viewed 2759 times

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Filezilla SFTP keeps using SSL Private Key when it should not?

#2 Post by botg » 2019-02-09 10:28

The SFTP support in FileZilla is based upon PuTTY, it shares some options with it.

MadManMadigan

#3 Post by MadManMadigan » 2019-02-09 16:21

OK, well that explains a lot. However, I don't know what to do to fix the problem.

So how do I unhook it from Putty?

The problem is I try to use Filezilla SFTP with just a simple password. Instead of doing it the easy way, it opens a random Key File somewhere else to log in instead of the password I have typed.

I don't get it. I was so surprised to see it going after a key file I had only used in Putty and Bitvise. How did it even know the key file existed and why is it so fixated on wanting to use that key file for every SFTP connection?

What do I have to do where I just type in a password for SFTP and it does nothing else?

It is like saving a file in Microsoft Word, and later when you click on a JPEG, Photoshop opens the Word Document instead.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2019-02-10 14:42

Random key files aren't used. Key files are used if they have been configured to be used. If you have not configured a key file in FileZilla, check the PuTTY configuration or possibly your system's SSH agent configuration.

MadManMadigan

#5 Post by MadManMadigan » 2019-02-10 15:30

How do I get control of Filezilla again, have it listen to my commands and stop it from listening to other apps?

I am a novice user. Putty is my terminal. If I want Filezilla to work with Putty, I should be able to make that choice for myself inside Filezilla. Are there not any settings in Filezilla to tell it not to listen to Putty or my Windows 10 SSL Agent Configuration? That would be really weird.

What and where is the SSL Agent Configuration on Windows 10?

I am in Filezilla and this is blank:
Screenshot_6.png
Screenshot_6.png (29.15 KiB) Viewed 2716 times
And Filezilla ignores this
download (2).png
download (2).png (44.63 KiB) Viewed 2716 times
I don't see where I tell Filezilla what I want it to do.

Right now, I am using Core FTP LE until I can figure out how to fix Filezilla.

MadManMadigan

#6 Post by MadManMadigan » 2019-02-12 16:11

I was told in another post that FIleZilla will use keys supplied to it or by outside sources no matter what you do.

Apparently, not listening to your option choices is a feature, I guess. Tip: Don't take dating advice from the guy who programmed this.

That it will try ALL THE KEYS, and only after they have ALL FAILED, will it use your password.

All the time, every time. That is worse odds than Sex Panther Cologne. 100% of the time, it works 0% of the time.

Why? I don't know. If you know none of the keys are gonna work, why would you try them?

That there is no interface to tell to do otherwise.

It seems weird to me, but hey what do I know.