Norton AV reports FileZilla as virus, cannot use!

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

ebturner
500 Command not understood
First name: Eric
Last name: Eric

Norton AV reports FileZilla as virus, cannot use!

#1 Post by ebturner » 2019-03-05 19:23

Norton 360 keeps deleting the download after, stating that FileZilla is not safe. What is going on?

The download is DIRECT from your website!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Norton AV reports FileZilla as virus, cannot use!

#2 Post by botg » 2019-03-05 23:21

It's a false-positive, the offer-enabled installer is no virus.

ebturner
First name: Eric
Last name: Eric

#3 Post by ebturner » 2019-03-18 18:38

I see lots more people complaining about the malware/virus alert now. Are you sure its safe? Maybe you could use an installer which is not being flagged as malware? Imagine if there is a data breach to all your customers using Filezilla because you used a 3rd party installer which is not longer safe. With the constant threats of viruses and malware being installed from 3rd party sources like this I really don't feel comfortable using the install you have for your software.

It's been over a week since my post. If it was a false positive then I'm sure Norton would have retracted their alert by now. Instead it still blocks your software. :(

Just recently there was an outbreak of software plugins on wordpress where its becoming common that hackers will "buy" a well known and widely used software package, then inject exploits into it to infect the masses of people who previously trusted the software. I've never had this message before with FileZilla on other systems. Suddenly your installer is being blocked. So this recent alert from Norton, a highly respected antivirus system, is going to keep me from installing your software and many others. :(

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2019-03-19 02:19

There are additional download options to choose from on the download page. All downloads on the advanced download page are bundle-free.

They will not remove the detection because they act fully intentional. The offer-based installer contains no malware, but the AV software detects the offer as PUP (potentially unwanted). The big problem is that, in order to sell more licenses, they present PUP detections in exactly the same way as they do malware/virus detections.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

DKRises
First name: Christian
Last name: Sconnely

#5 Post by DKRises » 2019-03-25 17:56

boco wrote:
2019-03-19 02:19
There are additional download options to choose from on the download page. All downloads on the advanced download page are bundle-free.

They will not remove the detection because they act fully intentional. The offer-based installer contains no malware, but the AV software detects the offer as PUP (potentially unwanted). The big problem is that, in order to sell more licenses, they present PUP detections in exactly the same way as they do malware/virus detections.
BitDefender is flagging this as a Trojan as well.