Filezilla Started Renaming Files on Remote server and they disappeared

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

birdwaves
500 Command not understood

Filezilla Started Renaming Files on Remote server and they disappeared

#1 Post by birdwaves » 2019-04-18 19:51

HI,
Using FZ 3.41.2 on Mac with Mohave.

I went to pause the queue when I noticed I was dl'ing some files I didn't need. The "Process Queue" was checked in the Transfer menu, so I went to uncheck it in order to stop the queue. At that moment FZ it started saying "Renaming Files", and my files and directories started disappearing from the remote server!

I quit FZ immediately, but the damage is done. I'm not finding the files in any of the other directories, and fear they are lost forever.

FYI, I am just taking over this site, so I am backing up the files for the first time. So don't flame me for not having backups...

Anyone have any idea what happened? There was no dialog box that came up and asked me if I really wanted to do it or anything. It just said "Renaming Files" and they started disappearing.

Thanks.

birdwaves
500 Command not understood

Re: Filezilla Started Renaming Files on Remote server and they disappeared

#2 Post by birdwaves » 2019-04-18 20:38

Update:
Files were found in a subdirectory. Still not sure how this happened. I didn't make a drag 'n drop move, so I don't think that was case. Also, why did I see that "Renaming Files" message?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Filezilla Started Renaming Files on Remote server and they disappeared

#3 Post by botg » 2019-04-19 08:29

Technically moving a file is just renaming it. More specifically, changing the path component of it.

Are you using a touchpad? Accidental drag operations are always a possibility with these devices. Make sure to always use a very firm touch to move the cursor.