Having problems with accessing .htaccess file

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

vladyslav.didyk
500 Command not understood
First name: Vlad
Last name: Didyk

Having problems with accessing .htaccess file

#1 Post by vladyslav.didyk » 2019-05-29 21:19

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on the 301 redirect. In order to set it up, I need to access .htaccess file.
I have decided to use Filezilla to do gain access to this file. However, something looks wrong when I establish the connection with my website on Filezilla. It seems to me that the connection gets established since I see files and folders in each of FileZilla's main quadrants, but i cannot find a folder named after my website's domain (on the right side of the Filezilla menu). Similarly, I cannot find FTP file there too. Please, let me know what could be the problem here!

boco
Contributor

Re: Having problems with accessing .htaccess file

#2 Post by boco » 2019-05-30 02:12

How FTP access works and looks, is dependent on how your hoster did set it up. Chances are, that you are already inside the directory for your website (especially for single domain setups).

Unfortunately, most FTP servers completely hide .htaccess and possibly other configuration "dotfiles" from view, preventing them from being accessed over FTP. Nothing we can do in this case.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

junejuly
500 Command not understood
First name: June
Last name: July

Re: Having problems with accessing .htaccess file

#3 Post by junejuly » 2019-05-30 11:07

You may not be able to see it (I had this issue a few years ago with a previous host) but it is still there, and should be able to be overwritten so you can just upload your new version.

If you really want to see the current version on the website you could also try a manual transfer Menu "transfer" -> "Manual Transfer". click the "Download" radio button and type .htaccess into the file name box.