SFTP connection to Server dies but Filezilla doesn't realize that.

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

PureCC
500 Command not understood

SFTP connection to Server dies but Filezilla doesn't realize that.

#1 Post by PureCC » 2019-06-07 00:36

Hi,

I've been using FileZilla for years now, and there is this one thing that really bugs me. I'm not sure if it's a bug or not.

I use Filezilla Client to connect to my Centos 7 servers using SFTP. I usually leave filezilla idle for a while. And sometimes when I come back to filezilla after maybe 5 minutes, the connection to server is disconnected.

Rarely, filezilla would reconnect to server and everything works well when I do some operations like browse directories. But most of the times, filezilla defaults to just send the browser directories or other commands that I initiate WITHOUT reconnecting to server when the connection was already dead.

This makes filezilla hang there for a long time without any response(as it waits for server response, but the connection was already closed).

I'm just wondering if anyone had experience this. I've tried different timeout settings in Filezilla with 5 seconds or 0 seconds to disable it, but nothing works.

I just wish Filezilla could detect the disconnection and re-initiate the connection process so that the operation commands can be send to the server.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: SFTP connection to Server dies but Filezilla doesn't realize that.

#2 Post by botg » 2019-06-07 06:50

This usually happens with faulty firewalls and NAT routers dropping connections without informing both peers that they have performed such a heinous act.

PureCC
500 Command not understood

Re: SFTP connection to Server dies but Filezilla doesn't realize that.

#3 Post by PureCC » 2019-06-07 18:11

thanks for the reply.

I have iptables enabled with no rules in it, and a direct connection from my home internet to the server. If what you said was the case, how do I find the root cause? Which side am I supposed to be looking at?

Or

Can I force Filezilla to kill the connection after a set time to force it to reconnect? The timeout in the settings doesn't seem to work for SFTP.