Uploading as "root"

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Deb
500 Command not understood

Uploading as "root"

#1 Post by Deb » 2007-12-18 09:09

Hi there,

New FileZilla user here. I really like this program :)

I have one thing I need some help with.

When I upload files it shows in the remote file list under Owner/Group as "root" (no quotes). Files I had previously uploaded with my WS_FTP Pro show Owner/Group as something else. When I try then to upload any file indicated as "root" using WS_FTP after it's been uploaded via FileZilla (overwrite the previously uploaded by FileZilla file) the upload is rejected.

My techies tell me that I need to change permission on any file uploaded via FileZilla as "root" to the proper chmod setting and that should change "root" to what the other file show as Owner/Group. However, the chmod settings are the same for both "root" and other Owner/Group information. I did find File --> Site Manager whereby I found "username" which allowed me to change "root" to what Owner/Group is listed as for the other files that were uploaded via WS_FTP. Then I tried a test upload only it still shows as "root" instead of Owner/Group.

How do I make the FileZilla uploads not show as "root" and allow me to use my WS_FTP to upload files without rejecting them when I need to?

Thank you,
Deb

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Uploading as "root"

#2 Post by botg » 2007-12-18 10:07

That depends on the used server and the username you are using to connect.

Deb
500 Command not understood

Re: Uploading as "root"

#3 Post by Deb » 2007-12-18 10:30

Ok, I kind of had that figured out. However, I did try changing the username and it still shows "root" ... am I not understanding you properly? Could you possibly expand on your reply some? Thank you.

Deb