Carryover permissions from NTFS drive on HFS drive?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Mike457
500 Command not understood

Carryover permissions from NTFS drive on HFS drive?

#1 Post by Mike457 » 2019-10-29 09:44

I use FileZilla to access a hard drive that is connected to an Asus GT-5300 router. Through the router software, I have activated the FTP server and my admin account has full ability to read and write files. I recently upgraded to a larger hard drive. Because I use a Mac, I decided to format the new drive to HFS+ (journaled, not case-sensitive). The old hard drive is formatted in NTFS. So, because Mac can read NTFS drives, I decided to simply connect both drives to my Mac and simply drag the files from the old drive to the new drive. This process worked flawlessly, or it seemed.

I have now connected the new drive to the router and have set up the FTP server, accounts and permissions. However, I am now experiencing a problem that I cannot modify any of the folders that were transferred from the old drive when accessing the new drive through FTP. I cannot rename these directories or create subdirectories within those folders. I have noticed that this is specific to those folders that were transferred from the NTFS drive. I can create new directories and modify files in folders that were NOT transferred in this manner (eg. a folder I created on the drive when it was directly connected to my Mac).

It doesn't seem to be a problem with the new drive, as I am able to connect it directly to the Mac and can modify the folders to my heart's content. So, as the title suggests, could my issue be stemming from some sort of "read-only" status on these folders/files that carried over from the NTFS drive? If not, has anyone had any experience with this issue and is there a solution? Thanks for reading!

boco
Contributor

Re: Carryover permissions from NTFS drive on HFS drive?

#2 Post by boco » 2019-10-29 13:16

If you used FTP to transfer these files and directories, then, no. FTP does not support any filesystem permissions. No matter which filesystem, ACLs and permissions are not transferred over. Additionally, Windows' NTFS permissions are completely incompatible to UNIX-based ones like on MacOS.

All items get default permissions assigned either by the local OS (if you're downloading) or by the OS/FTP server software (upload). My guess is that these default permissions (UMASK) are too restrictive. Or, equally possible, that the owner information is not correct. Try to CHOWN the files and set their owner permissions to your liking.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Mike457
500 Command not understood

Re: Carryover permissions from NTFS drive on HFS drive?

#3 Post by Mike457 » 2019-10-29 17:27

boco, thanks for the response.

I did NOT use FTP to transfer the files. To do that, I connected both drives to my Mac and simply used drag-and-drop to copy the files from the NTFS drive to the HFS drive. Actually, that was the only method that seemed to work. I have Windows on my machine through Parallels. The first thing I tried to is to transfer the files from within the Windows environment. (In this case, the new drive was formatted to NTFS). However, I kept getting errors and stoppages. That's when I just formatted the new drive to HFS and used OS X to do the transfer as I described.

I'll try CHOWN as you suggested. I'll update this evening on the results. Thanks again for your help!