Getting "the selected file is already being edited" messages even when it's not

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

douglerner
425 Can't open data connection
First name: Doug
Last name: Lerner

Getting "the selected file is already being edited" messages even when it's not

#1 Post by douglerner » 2019-11-20 02:27

I'm trying to view/edit a remote file. I get "the selected file is already being edited" messages with a choice to reopen the local file (default) or discard local file then download and edit anew.

But there is no file of the same name being edited in my BBEdit text editor.

Is this a bug?

Thanks,

doug

boco
Contributor

Re: Getting "the selected file is already being edited" messages even when it's not

#2 Post by boco » 2019-11-20 06:00

FileZilla does remember files you view or edit, independent of the third-party editor (which doesn't tell). Usually, when saving and re-uploading the changed file, FileZilla will have a checkbox to finish editing. But, the dialog won't appear for unchanged files (there is no feedback from the editor). Use the "Show files currently being edited..." feature from the file menu for managing files still in edit mode.

Additional note: FileZilla remembers items by file name only, not by path. You have to be cautious with multiple files having the same name but being in different directories, in this case false "re-open" messages might be triggered.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

douglerner
425 Can't open data connection
First name: Doug
Last name: Lerner

Re: Getting "the selected file is already being edited" messages even when it's not

#3 Post by douglerner » 2019-11-20 06:07

Sort of awkward, isn't it. But ok. Thanks for the info!